Carby gas leak at carb.... sometimes

mtbforlife

Local time
7:42 AM
ok well i have the dax 80cc runs good no problems but i noticed every now and then ill rub my finger along the bottom of the carb and ill get a finger coverd in gas and oil.:eek: its usually after it sits for a while and has time to cool down, but the unusuall thing is that it only dose it sometimes. i have hose clamps on the fuel line not to tight not to lose. but i know its not comeing from the lines because thay are clean. i checked out the carb gasket perfect shape, jet looks to be fine never sputters or bogs its runs perfect.:confused: like i said its only every now and thenvery hard to figure out anyhelp would work. thx

F

fetor56

It's probably your gaskets...try tightening the screws but DON'T overtighten them.
The new type carbys have rubber gaskets,but as long as fuel isn't leaking out alarmingly i woundn't worry about it to much.
Also when you've finished with your bike at the end of the day turn the fuel "off"
It makes for easier starting next time u go to use it.
4-strokes u can leave the fuel on all the time...2-strokes are a BIG no no.

mtbforlife

Local time
well my motor is actually older like 06 model mabey. nothing changed on it except new gaskets (carb has same gasket). i always turn the fuel off. can even leaving the valve open accidently for 5 -15 minutes hurt it? the screws are tight and all the parts inside are working no prob.

B

blacklabel7345

the gas can also leak out of your tickle button. the chinamen did not seem to make those too leak-free. also try not filling your tank as much. i fill myne 1/2 way and ride with no problem, but allways have another 1/4 gal onhand to get me home of i run out

mtbforlife

Local time
the gas can also leak out of your tickle button. the chinamen did not seem to make those too leak-free. also try not filling your tank as much. i fill myne 1/2 way and ride with no problem, but allways have another 1/4 gal onhand to get me home of i run out

you know to think of it i think your right i have seen some run comeing from thare. i once actually just took my old one out and filled it with a rivit and some epoxy, thay dont seem to help much at all really. so is it a good idea to get rid of it mabey? is it important for something?

B

blacklabel7345

well pretty much yeah. it fills your bowl with gas. as for 1/2 tank idea it helps not having so much gas weighing down on the carb through the line. hope any of this helps

B

blacklabel7345

it fills it with gas after sitting. no you dnt really need it, but yes it is important. *correction*

mtbforlife

Local time
it fills it with gas after sitting. no you dnt really need it, but yes it is important. *correction*

ya probley a good thing to have after sitting a few weeks. i do have a fuel filter on the bike. can that help with the weight of the gas on the carb? probley not ah? well ill keep an eye on it.

F

fetor56

Naaa not for 5-15 mins...not even overnight.Bad habit to get into though(leaveing fuel tap on).
Gas evaporates from the oil/gas mixture leaving behind oil.Since the fuel tap is in the "on" position more gas comes down to replace whats evaporated and that evaporates leaving more and more oil build-up...i think u get the pic.
I've seen 2-strokes that have been left for years with petcock in the "on" position and no fuel remaining in the tank.....carby though FULL of oil.............what a headache.