gas leak from tank cap

M

Minnesota Hyena

since i bought my kit, my gas tank cap doesn't hold the fuel inside tightly.

If i tilt my bike, gas will slowly leak from the cap.

Does anybody experience this same problem?

should i get a new cap?

about the cap itself: yes, mine's a cheapo that drips sometimes, too. i keep thinking i should try to find a beefier gasket, haven't run across anything yet.

the old caps are useless. the ears break off realy easy or get jammed up. the new gas caps are the way to go.

Don't know much about these caps, BUT there MUST be a vent into the tank or it will form a vacume as the fuel is drawn out of the tank, fuel flow will stop, and then the engine will stop.

Get your new updated gas tank cap from thatsdax.com . Thanks..Enjoy the ride...

That's a similar problem to what I was experiencing as well. Posted on the same day, over here
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=340
This kit was also from dax and purchased early december (06). When were the caps updated? The "new improved" cap listed on the thatsdax site looks exactly like the one that came with our kit and performs as stated in my post, and in the above post. What is the difference between the two?
I figure I may just find one locally.

-edit- 4 hours later: Very Locally! I actually had one within 3 yards of where I typed the above message. It's an old moped cap that is a quite bit higher quality and works perfectly; all the tilts, vibration, and fullness I want....no seepage so far.

Steve said:
Don't know much about these caps, BUT there MUST be a vent into the tank or it will form a vacume as the fuel is drawn out of the tank, fuel flow will stop, and then the engine will stop.

according to his writing, the cap is the only ventilation there is on our

tanks.

that is why gas has to leak??

Maybe the ventilation is important, but i don't want gas leak from the cap. :(

and etheric, you replaced your cap and nothing leaks.

Does your tank form a vaccum?

does your engine stop in the middle?

Minnesota Hyena said:
Steve said:

according to his writing, the cap is the only ventilation there is on our

tanks.

that is why gas has to leak??

Maybe the ventilation is important, but i don't want gas leak from the cap. :(

and etheric, you replaced your cap and nothing leaks.

Does your tank form a vaccum?

does your engine stop in the middle?

hey this is Heath, co-owner of the bike with Ethan. the moped cap works great. we rode the bike quite a bit today (when we should have been working) and it did great. it's a cap off a Garelli. don't know if they are all the same or not. as a side note, it's a much more attractive cap as well!

Back