gas mileage comparison

Personally, I use the cheap stuff for the basic reasons as stated above. Here's a thought, in the heat of summer if you're running your engine hard, it may be helpful to use higher octane gas if the engine is running hot...but that's only a maybe. I've never noticed any problems on hot days, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks Terminal. that was handy. It is noticeable that my Honda and the HuaSheng before it both reached their best ever performance in cold night air and I am assured that it is the dense oxygen rich night air that contributed to this very noticeable occurrence. It took me a while to realise that it was one particular journey I make infrequently when my engine just sang like a bird and was attaining crusing speeds way above its average of 50 km\hr.
I thought it was the long warm up at idl speed that the engine got during a 12 minute start riding at walking speed around pot holes before I hit the open road on this particular journey but that wasn't the contributing factor - it was the fact that I was running at night in winter with low humidity and dense air that really got the motor to sing.

Interesting. I think my one of my students mentioned that phenomonon once. How cold did it have to be before you noticed a difference? I've not ridden in any super cold air yet, but down to about 35-40 degrees F. Then it was too cold at 30 MPH for nearly 2 hours. I can't recall any increase in peformance...but I didn't really pay attention either. I was always too worried about getting to work on time and without any problems (its 50 miles one way). I'm still working on a way to commute on those cold days where the temperature is below, at or near freezing. I'm thinking about hooking up an automotive alternator so I can get good power to run 12 volt clothing, but I'm also afraid that would be too much work on such a small engine (GXH50). I think I read somewhere it can take as much as 1 horse away from the engine (I'm sure running at 90 amps), but that's a sizeable fraction of these little guys...

Back