Gas mileage

Please contribute!!

I am not able to ride long enough (time constrants and this is a hobby at this point) to give a good answer to the question, however I am looking to the future where this may be my means of transportation to work (and more than a night/weekend hobby)....the figures people give today could help me in my decision in the future.:helmet:

I have a new build with 3-speed hub and jackshaft.
I think I have the speedo/computer working now, I will reset it and fill up and let you know as I want to know myself.

One thing I know for sure, the motor speeds a lot more time at idle while I coast full speed than my straight drive bikes.
Sure you can hold the clutch in but I never did, and driving that second chain through the clutch had a lot more drag than the jackshaft kits single chain and coaster hub + crank freewheel clutch.

I expect 100 miles per 2.5L tank even with the high break-in ration gas/oil mix minimum.

Milage

I have a Staton Nuvinci setup on a Specialized "Big Hit" downhill bike. It weighs 68 lbs with the tank full + me at 180 lbs. I have been averaging 200 mpg with the best being 211. This is cruising at 25 mph with some pretty large hills. I leave the throttle set a little over 1/2 (I have a throttle lock cruise control) and I just change the hum gear ratio on the fly up and down the hill. I go slow up the hills and hit 45-60 on the downhill in overdrive so it all evens out on the milage. I have gone on several 100+ mile trips lately and have cleared 30 miles many times on a standard Robin Subaru EHO35 21 oz tank ( it leaves 1 oz in the bottom when dry). Couldnt be happier with the bike. I am going to try a test on a 10 mile flat stretch this fall on a calm day and run at idle at about 15 mph and see if I can break 300 mpg. I bet I get close. I run 10 psi overpressure in my smooth tread tires for lower rolling resistance.

I have 2 49 cc HT's from Zoombicycles
1 on modern cruiser, 1 on 1937-41 Cleveland
160# rider moderate hills 350' above sea level
Both seem to return about 70-75 mpg no careful or controled tests, just observations

I get far less MPG. Think its anly around 80MPG. I almost always have it reved right now, near top speed.

I have a Staton Nuvinci setup on a Specialized "Big Hit" downhill bike. It weighs 68 lbs with the tank full + me at 180 lbs. I have been averaging 200 mpg with the best being 211. This is cruising at 25 mph with some pretty large hills. I leave the throttle set a little over 1/2 (I have a throttle lock cruise control) and I just change the hum gear ratio on the fly up and down the hill. I go slow up the hills and hit 45-60 on the downhill in overdrive so it all evens out on the milage. I have gone on several 100+ mile trips lately and have cleared 30 miles many times on a standard Robin Subaru EHO35 21 oz tank ( it leaves 1 oz in the bottom when dry). Couldnt be happier with the bike. I am going to try a test on a 10 mile flat stretch this fall on a calm day and run at idle at about 15 mph and see if I can break 300 mpg. I bet I get close. I run 10 psi overpressure in my smooth tread tires for lower rolling resistance.
Wondering what your engine drive sprocket size is ? now mine is 12 teeth - later iam putting on a 10 tooth for better hill pulling power on my Subaru 35

I haven't calculated the mileage on my 49cc HS-engined bike yet as I haven't ever completely filled the tank. I was quite surprised at the mileage I recorded on one full tank of gas (1.2 gal) I ran through my Whizzer (138cc). It came in at right around 104mpg with my fat carcass on the seat. Most of that mileage was on relatively flat terrain.

What Big Hit do you have? Is it the larger travel (like FSR) or the less travel (like the spec versions).

Would be a sweet setup.

Did a sloppy check last week before installing a 3 speed jackshaft between the engine and rear end, got 14 miles on 2 cups of gas = around 110 mpg.
Expecting that to be a bigger number now that the engine is much more relaxed.

Back