Gas powered electric- a measure of sucess

A link to the hybrid Trike can be found on this page. http://tribridbike.com/?cat=6

Also if you check out my current project on that same site you can see I have been working on something similar. I haven't updated it in some time however.

Professor

Are you using the alternator and motor as an electric transmissiom, or just to charge the batteries? I would think the little Tecumseh would have plenty of power, unless you are way down in the rpm range. Mine originally used a 31cc weed wacker engine, and as long as the batteries were close to charged it had enough power. Marginal. but enough. I didn't try an alternator though..........maybe more losses involved. I was going to use a gxh50 Honda for my next attempt (for the governor) but maybe it wouldn't be enough either on an alternator. :mad:

Good luck, and take a break. Too much fun can be a bad thing. :D

Here are a couple of pics of the scooter motor set-up on the bike. Yes, the engine powers the alternator and the engine rpm is the speed control- works very nice.

mikes329.jpg

mikes330.jpg

It looks a bit busy, with the 3 idlers (two to guide the chain over or under the bike frame) but it does work.
I decided to continue on the build some more, and am putting the 6 hp Techumseh on it.
Ciorrection-
I just realized that I stated the drive ratio wrong in my first post, it is around 14 to one.

Last edited:
Exactly.....that was my theory when I had my pusher. The generator was just big enough to keep the smaller batteries charged, and the batteries were big enough to absorb the higher power requirements of hills and acceleration. The smaller batteries provided the power and the genserator extended the range without needing the extra weight of the larger batteries.

Could an ultracapacitor be used in place of batteries? There are industrial applications that use small generators with ultracaps in place of battery banks, but they're not common or well known. (The high power ultracaps are mostly Dept of Defense applications at this point, not out in civilian markets yet.)

Last edited:
Hi Brian, welcome to Motoredbikes!
I am not an electrical guy and I go for real simple and low buck, so don't know about the ultracapacitor.
The bike pictured in this old post has become a normal E-bike and I built an in-frame bike just for the gas/electric application.
I think there is an issue with the controller, other than that, it is working fine and there is a post on it in the e-bike section.

Back