Gas powered mobility scooter?

So what you're saying is you want a gas motor to charge the electrics? I would understand wanting that on a mb but why on a mobility scooter why not have the engine power it if you want to build something cool or make a hybrid that moves it instead of charging. Sounds like a waste to me, but colin furze already made a motorized mobility scooter that goes 70mph on YouTube.

Diesel locomotives run deisel generators to store energy on banks of batteries, no power from the engines go directly to the wheels. They get great gas mileage for what they haul.

Diesel locomotives run deisel generators to store energy on banks of batteries, no power from the engines go directly to the wheels. They get great gas mileage for what they haul.
I don't think they have batteries at all, other than for the starter motor for the engine. If they did, they would likely also have regenerative braking, and they don't. Instead, they have a massive resistor wire coiled up on the top of the locomotive, cooled by big fans. To brake the train, they just dump all that energy into the resistor, and cool it off with the fans. It works. Batteries would be too bulky to do any good for a train. So a train's throttle is a bit more direct than that, they rev up the engine to increase the power, just like if it were direct drive from the engine, there is no battery reserve to speak of. So they don't need any kind of current controller for the motors, which would be another hugely expensive, and power consuming aspect, if they did. They can control the current by throttling the engines.

GreenMantis you are right, i used to drive a switch engine at work, no batteries except for starting. I remember a big panel of contacts ( like points ) did a lot of clicking LOL.........................Curt

Not really, to qualify as a mobility scooter, it kind of has to be able to maneuver indoors. At least in public spaces like walmart, or the mall, or the doctor's office, those kinds of places. It also has to be able to get on the bus.
You are looking for too many uses, I will say it probably can be done, but it is not the best solution. I have been disabled since 1999, there is no one solution that works for all of my situations. Each day requires I figure out what I will need to get through the day.

You are looking for too many uses, I will say it probably can be done, but it is not the best solution.
I have been disabled since 1999, there is no one solution that works for all of my situations.
Each day requires I figure out what I will need to get through the day.
Are you still working Herman? Living alone?
If so bummer for you man.

I am married and our 28yo son Kelvin is a gun shot paraplegic living with us, and I'm pretty much done with walkers, it's an indoor/outdoor wheel chair for me now too, just 2 different chairs.

Back