Gas Tank Discussion- especially RackMounted

T

Timcycle

I have the 35cc Subaru Robin engine on my bike ~ and loving it.
However, to fill the tank it has to be at a near 45 degree angle. hmmm.

Has anyone come up with different - larger - tanks?
Or is there one that screws on the opening of the one that is already installed?

See it here: http://goldeneaglebikeengine.blogspot.com

--------
Motorcycle guys smile the biggest when I cruise by.

GASOLINE TANKS Discussion

I have the same engine and problem. I get a better filling angle by putting the rear wheel on a milk crate before filling. :D

Me too.

Yes. Me too. I have to prop it up, pour in gas, tap the side to get the air bubble out, pour in more to top, and cap.

I was thinking about making a connection on my gas can made of hose.

Then I would feed the hose to the back of the tank and then fill it up, possibly forcing the air out. But, then I have a dripping gassy hose to deal with when pulling it out.

Another idea is to get a duplicate or near duplicate tank and hook them together side by side, and connect them in some fashion. I can't really figure how to connect the large tanks that are for sell in a safe way.

The tank in the link http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2737 is good. However, the GEBE does not have that center platform for the tank to set on.

Any ingenious engineering ideas on this concept can
be posted here.

Fill your GEBE R/S 35cc tank ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP (NO AIR)

Here is how to fill your fuel tank all the way to capacity by eliminating the air bubble -

You can hang your bike from the ceiling by the rear wheel or do this -

1) Raise your wheel a tiny bit off the ground, about 12" is fine if the engine is mounted in a vertical orientation.
2) Fill your tank until the gas is 1/2" from the top of the filler neck.
3) At this time, there will be an air bubble in the tank opposite the filler neck.
4) Take a piece of tubing about 20" long (or a long straw) and
.....A) Put your finger over one end of the tubing.
.....B) Push the other end of the tubing all the way into the tank until it reaches the top of the air bubble on the opposite side of the tank.
.....C) Remove your finger from the end of the tubing.
.....D) Watch the air bubble escape through the tube. NO MORE air bubble! :D
.....E) Remove the tubing.
.....F) Fill up the rest of your fuel tank to the top of the filler tube.

This method allows you to fill the fuel tank to full capacity with no air bubble in the system! :eek:

"moved and bumped* to ask "Has anybody found a 48 oz. tank for the RackMounters to easily change out for Tanakas?

Something has slowed my "linking", and that Staton site took forever last time, probably stall today,

but if memory serves, the link was to a 96 oz. and I want something in the 50 oz. range.

8) the 96oz tank was included in STATON'S ROBIN 35cc friction drive kit. it mounts atop the drive housing, but i doubt if it'd position well with the rear/chain drive. it'd probably work w/GEBE or other kits, with a rack.i filled it up w/80oz. gas once, 2 weeks ago. i've got 40 oz left, even after spilling some in a leak.
in my case, the stock 32oz tank would work better than a 48oz/96oz unit. :cool:
BTW, i'm also loving my ROBIN 35cc engine. i'm liking it even BETTER since i lowered the engine's idle(less noise and vibration while coasting, or at a stop.) 8)

Mount Engine

Maybe best bet is to mount engine so tank is vertical.

If a 4-cycle, checking oil and fill will be occasional problem requiring bike to raised...2-cycles are already set to vertical by GEBE, at least mine T-3300 came already set.

These are 360 motors.

Back