Gas tank placement for 4-stroke HuaSheng 49cc engines

bakaneko

Local time
11:33 AM
Anyone know if the gas tank has to be above the engine? Can it be at the same level if not slightly below? For example, the bikeberry friction installation video showed that the gas tank is either at the same level or just slightly above the engine.

Above as it is gravity fed.
Thanks. I think the gas intake is at the middle of the engine so there is at least some leeway for an unconventional build. Also, does anyone know the vibration comparison between a 4-stroke and 2-stroke? It seems the 4-stroke has less vibration from my observations. Thx

The HS engines have 2 carb types, one is for gravity feed and the tank needs to be above the carb, the other can suck up from below.
Like an outboard boat engine it needs an in-gas line bulb pump to prime it first, but then it will suck the fuel up on it's own.

I have little (~1/3 gallon) gas thanks that bolt right to the top of HS engine, they come attached to the 53cc HS 144F's I buy, I don't use them so I have a passel of them if you want one.

As for vibration a frame mounted 4-stroke has virtually no vibration, no clue about how they do on a friction drive above the back tire on a bike rack does however, never have or will build one as I think that is about the stupidest place ever to put an engine and worst way to propel a bike.

Some people love them though even if they need need special kickstands just keep them from falling over because of absurdly high center of gravity they create.

As for vibration a frame mounted 4-stroke has virtually no vibration, no clue about how they do on a friction drive above the back tire on a bike rack does however, never have or will build one as I think that is about the stupidest place ever to put an engine and worst way to propel a bike.

Some people love them though even if they need need special kickstands just keep them from falling over because of absurdly high center of gravity they create.

Thx for the reply, KC. I wanted to get your opinion on putting a 4-stroke behind the seat on an reinforced rear rack. I would place it in-frame but I doubt the 4-stroke will fit in the frame. This is the bike I want to do a bigger project on but first I figure I can try out the bike handling and what not with a 49cc 4-stroke. I see that you have some fat tire bike builds but the cruiser type; I really like the mountain bike look and feel. Please feel free to be brutal with your reply. I guess the advantage of the rear rack is that I can offset the motor as needed to compensate for the fat tire width.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 340
Thx for the reply, KC. I wanted to get your opinion on putting a 4-stroke behind the seat on an reinforced rear rack. I would place it in-frame but I doubt the 4-stroke will fit in the frame. This is the bike I want to do a bigger project on but first I figure I can try out the bike handling and what not with a 49cc 4-stroke. I see that you have some fat tire bike builds but the cruiser type; I really like the mountain bike look and feel. Please feel free to be brutal with your reply. I guess the advantage of the rear rack is that I can offset the motor as needed to compensate for the fat tire width.

Uggh, the Mongoose, what an unruly bike despite it's dual disc brakes and about the worst thing to try to motorize in my opinion.

The only thing I trusted to put in was was a low center of gravity electric shifting system as you can't even get a 2-stroke in without major mounting mods.

2_MongooseFatR-1280.jpg

MongooseFatL.jpg

Eloquent, low center of gravity, a shifting system, but I still didn't like riding it even with near a 1KW of battery power.

I really can't even imagine what an Albatross it would be with a big 4-stroke above the back wheel as it was so cumbersome even with that electric that I pulled it off and it still sits as a kluge in my back yard with no motorizing and nobody likes to ride it as a regular bike either it's that bad.

Just my honest opinion bud, others may differ.

What I really liked in a really fat tire bike was the Sun Crusher, it was a joy to ride even with just dual V-brakes.
I put a beefed up 2-stroke shifter in this build, but it will take a 4-stroke.

SunFat66cc7sLrear-1280.jpg

SunFat66cc7sRF-1280.jpg

Here is a comparison of the two.

FatTireBikes3-1280.jpg

Hope that helps as I really did enjoy riding the Sun Crusher but couldn't stand the Dolomite.

haha, you are right. the walmart reviews for the dolomite are a bit mix but most are positive considering it is an entry level fat tire bike. unfortunately, the last one on the shelf around my area is gone so I would have to order it from Walmart. so no see (ride around store) before i buy...

Oke fellas. How did he do this? There must be less than an inch of clearance with the top tube for a 4-stroke to fit in this fat tire mountain bike. What a trooper to ride in that snow even with the fat tire.

Oke fellas. How did he do this? There must be less than an inch of clearance with the top tube for a 4-stroke to fit in this fat tire mountain bike. What a trooper to ride in that snow even with the fat tire.
I Tried running the video full screen and pausing on side views to see what engine he was using but couldn't tell.
It also looks like the seat tube was modified.

Clever whatever it was he used for a power source and drive ;-}

Back