Gas tank pressure

And now for the rest of the story! It is possible [because I did the test] to take a bunch [over 10] of brand new gas caps, and several hold the pressure ,some leak, and some work great. It appears the caps are different grades of quality [what a surprize], and depending on your speed some will retard the flow of gas and some will not. Rather than use the trial and error method to find caps that work, simply drill a 3/16" hole in the center, or just bend the tabs back and dispose of the blue valve assembly...... Problem solved. It is important to consider the results of a defective cap, if the cap restricts the flow of gas, it is possible for your motor to run lean and cause serious damage over time. Another area to check out is the surface where the cap contacts the tank, because often the seal is very bad because of the excessive paint around the top of opening [those tanks will vent because the cap has a poor seal at that location]. However some tanks [where the paint has worn off, chipped, etc] seal very well. and will create pressure when hot.
Looks like this problem may very well be because of poor quality control.
Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
I will follow up on this.
I live where it gets hot like 106>117. But even when it is in the high 80's I have the fuel pressure in the tank issue. Long stop lights and rough roads cause me to stall and sometimes leak fuel from the bowl drain hose. I find that at night I am fine. I did not want to smell fumes all the time as with drilling that little hole in the cap.

I tried a little lower float setting. I had good results with a scoche less than 23mm. I had fixed the flooding and stalling problem up to about 90>95 degrees. The carb spacer helped too. In the end though I was forced to drill the dam hole. I used a .040 small bit in the white plastic one way valve in the center. So far so good, well that is until our next hot season comes.

Hope the other less destructive ideas help some in cooler climates.

Ken

PS: The float should be at 22mm at the factory setting. Setting it lower may require needle and c-clip main jet adjustments to correct the leaner mixture caused by the slightly lower float setting.

Quenton Rocks by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride at night

Hi,
You said you ride at night. I haven't gotten that brave yet. It was no problem on my Harleys & the whizzer cruises pretty good with the upgrades but I haven't ventured out after dark on it yet.

Quenton,
I noticed my Whizzer always has tank pressure after riding, but after setting several hours, there is none. That is what it's supposed to do, right? I also notice that after riding, the drain hose has several drops and nothing more. Is this normal?
It has become hard to start, especially in the morning. I have to pedal a ways, and try several times. It will stall right away, unless I give it throttle. It will go fine, and then after the engine is warm, it will idle just fine.
Anything I can do to help this? I did adjust the two screws on the side affecting the idle.

Back