Gas tank problem solved

R

recumbentbill

gas tank.JPG
Thanks to Augidog I now have my tank problem solved and it works great. Its a good thing that I had a donor weed eater sitting in the shop corner collectindust.Fromthe donor I got a vented gas cap that fits the Blitz gas tank like a champ.Other donor parts are the grommet and the screen fuel pickup.The tank is now the main tank[I removed the stock Tananka tank].If the Blitz tank were still my aux tank I would have continued the thread in wildin the streets but since It is the main tank I thought more fellow GEBE rack mounters might benefit from my Tank picture. I plan on making a plastic cover that will hide and secure the Blitz tank and eliminate the ugly bunge cords:D

I think the gas tank is a great mod. that does not cost much and gets the job, very good work Bill. We all don't have an unlimited budget, thanks for setting things straight Augi.

I'm planning on a 4-stroke for my next attempt and if i opt for the new rear mounted Dax 4-stroke i'll surely be putting my efforts into extending it's range....yours is a simple,cheap,and effective solution................mine???

It gets the job done. If we all wanted &&& could afford a " PURDY " bike, we would have bought " Whizzers !"
" I love it when an ingenious plan comes together "

Tank

Very ingenious. Never occurred to me to extend with platform and carry tank back there. Will give that one some thought.

I have a few questions:

A.) The angle iron, can it be replaced with some alum or steel straight stock to eliminate the edges and corners?

B.) Are the supports attached to axle or frame?

C.) The Tanaka engine is sitting with gas tank removed, judging from picture. Did you change the way it (engine) was mounted from the way it came from GEBE?

Reason I ask is mine came with engine/tank upright, tank in rear, which I like. I know it can be installed either way, but curious ...

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tank

First things first. Thank yall [except for the first guy:confused:] for the very nice and supportive replies. I know it aint purdy but its sturdy, gets the job done and best of all it was low cost The rack can be built with flat stock,round stock etc. I just used the angle iron with holes in it for simplicity sake. The rack supports are bolted to the engine mount just above the axel.The gas rack bolts to the top of the engine mount just to the rear of the engine mount bolts. Its nice to ride 70 miles[my average ride] with out having to stop and fill up the Tiny Tanaka tank every now and then and still have plenty of gas left in the tank
Thanks again guys Yall ROCK
Bill in Millington TN

Looks like Tygon tubing there. That's THE stuff to use, in my opinion. Got mine at the local hobby store (lots of good fuel stuff like inline filters there, too).

Tank

Thanks. I forgot about the GEBE engine mount rack. Makes more sense to do it your way.

Now you have me thinking about the chrome tank I saw here for $99.

Just when I figured I would leave the bike alone, I start fiddling in my mind and we all know what happens then ... maybe convert one of those MSR bottles?

Appreciate the thread and the idea, now, to get my head on straight and find a used tank ...

Glad to see someone else has done this. I have placed my 11/2 gal gas can back there so many time thinking should I. Good work!

Back