Gas tank vibration roll over, SOLVED!

motomunkey81

Local time
8:48 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure that everyone doing long rides on a daily basis has had the gas tank roll over and all hell breaks loose at 25mph along the shoulder of a busy road. At least for me it did so I hope this is helpful for anyone who may have the same issues.
I have seen a video where a fella used over and under mounting brackets on his tank because he said in some situations he would rather the tank roll than break at a stud weld.
Well, I work long hrs and have s**t to do during the week so I haven't been able to make the trip to the hardware store. But this week I had had enough. Of course I had a bit of hardware and parts at the house and I am more than happy with my alternative solution. I simply cut off a short length of old inner tube and opened it up to wrap around the crossbar where the tank sits. I taped it in place, used double brackets for the back 2 studs, and used the rubber grip pieces of an old cell phone holder on the one front bracket.I was happy to find I had plenty of room for brake lines and everything else fell in to place after that. Hope this helps someone! Be safe everyone

Attachments

• 16646006252083359990117325878103.jpg
    16646006252083359990117325878103.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 1664600669648938186934662507497.jpg
    1664600669648938186934662507497.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 16646016736662726185256009248228.jpg
    16646016736662726185256009248228.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 143
Ok, I'm pretty sure that everyone doing long rides on a daily basis has had the gas tank roll over and all hell breaks loose at 25mph along the shoulder of a busy road. At least for me it did so I hope this is helpful for anyone who may have the same issues.
I have seen a video where a fella used over and under mounting brackets on his tank because he said in some situations he would rather the tank roll than break at a stud weld.
Well, I work long hrs and have s**t to do during the week so I haven't been able to make the trip to the hardware store. But this week I had had enough. Of course I had a bit of hardware and parts at the house and I am more than happy with my alternative solution. I simply cut off a short length of old inner tube and opened it up to wrap around the crossbar where the tank sits. I taped it in place, used double brackets for the back 2 studs, and used the rubber grip pieces of an old cell phone holder on the one front bracket.I was happy to find I had plenty of room for brake lines and everything else fell in to place after that. Hope this helps someone! Be safe everyone

Next your studs are gonna rip off the tank,

There's a better way to mount the gas tank mounting brackets
Maybe a member will chime in shortly and give ya a few tips

Next your studs are gonna rip off the tank,

There's a better way to mount the gas tank mounting brackets
Maybe a member will chime in shortly and give ya a few tips
I have been riding motorized bikes for years, and I am still learning to do new things to get the best of what I can put into this. That being said, I did consider that the extra grip of the rubber could cause the studs to break if I were to take a fall, or wreck. I seriously don't think that I would get away without a bit of damage if I did. But I did give the tank a little shove and it was still able to move enough to make it through a row on a gravel road somewhere

The best idea is to run a nut on each of the gas tank studs before put it all together, then any tightening is done against the nut not the metal of the tank. A lot of bikes have fuel tank mounting issues, bars too wide, cables in the way, etc, and most need some kind of wrap to keep the tank from slipping. The new fangled tanks are larger with mounting brackets instead of studs, so there's that option too.

BTW, your fuel filter is upside down.

Back