GAs tanks: glass fiber VS metal

Zen builder

Local time
6:07 PM
Like so many other people , I like a lot about motorized bikes. The kits are affordable , fairly easy to put together , and just plane fun. And like everyone else, want to make mine match my personality, by ( and I hate to use this word, for chance of getting chastized ) customizing the build. The best way , or most notable way to change the look, is by the tank. Which is why i am posting this. I would like your thoughts on the subject. Molding a tank from fiberglass seems to be easier and allows more flexibility in design, also less expence , if you dont already have a MIG . Granted steel is steel and can take a beating, and you wouldnt have to seal the interior chamber to the same extent. Just want to hear from anyone who has a useful opinion, and why.

find a resin that's fuel resistant and a fiberglass tank will work great. the big thing you want to avoid is smashing it in a crash and spilling fuel on your hot engine

I am against steel tanks as they spark up on crashes and ignite fuel coming from tank/carb. Gas ignites at a temp a little over what your engine should be running at, I have a dr250 with a crappy petcock that drips gas onto the cylinder all the time. Vaporizes it instantly, no ignition tho:cry: So engine itself will not ignite spilled fuel. When building a fiberglass tank, the only hard part might be finding a resin that can withstand constant contact with solvent. People say resin will flake off inside unless it's the right type. Look at what this fine sir said

Caswell is the stuff to use to seal a gas tank.
Best read up on the stuff before using as it is like a super epoxy that will stick to anything and impervious to any chemical.

Back