Gasbikes 66cc 12v Generator in action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baconator101

Local time
12:40 PM
Here is a short vid of the infamous 12v Generator from gasbikedotnet. The project is not complete and I honestly am not even sure in which direction I will go next. Just taking my time with this 12v system. More info in video details.

Oh boy that's going to need a regulator, 28v is going to fry the crap out of anything meant to run in the standard 12-18v you'll see in an automobile.

How many watts is it producing, I mean after a regulator and then a charging circuit you're going to have some sizeable loss, at some point you will have a drain on the system and the battery won't charge while the bike is running if the accessories are powered on..

What is that led panel part of? It looks kinda like a buck/booster board I have that tells you the input while also displaying the current or output voltage depending on what you tell it to do. You'll still need something to regulate how much power the battery receives but I think you know that already.

Yeah I have yet to to figure out what I will do with this charging system. Depending on what crazy idea I end up choosing is how I will end up wiring everything. That led panel I actually picked up in an electronics grab bag that a seller at my local swapmeet sells. You really can't go wrong for $2 tho. It displays volts, and the undisturbed numbers should display amps when connected. But I have no full circuit yet. I really posted this video. For those naysayers that were 100% sure it could not would not produce the power it said it would. Furthermore I wanted to see if there would be any power loss from the engine, also another discussed theory here from folks that said it would take I kid you not, 1/3 of the power from engine away. I'm pretty sure I saw that Floating around these threads somewhere. I thought to my self, I'm new to this forum, I'm not gonna argue here. I'm just going to get it, and do it. And low and behold I haven't noticed any physical power loss at all.

Oh boy that's going to need a regulator, 28v is going to fry the crap out of anything meant to run in the standard 12-18v you'll see in an automobile.

How many watts is it producing, I mean after a regulator and then a charging circuit you're going to have some sizeable loss, at some point you will have a drain on the system and the battery won't charge while the bike is running if the accessories are powered on..

What is that led panel part of? It looks kinda like a buck/booster board I have that tells you the input while also displaying the current or output voltage depending on what you tell it to do. You'll still need something to regulate how much power the battery receives but I think you know that already.

Here Is The Inline Volt & Amp Meter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-10A-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Red-Blue-LED-Dual-Digital-Volt-Amp-Meter-Gauge/282408755718?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40130&meid=d4e5c83decf54435b84e76e9490ce12b&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=131597602423

Here is the ac to dc converter i used. theres two here, i used the higher voltage one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172439052908?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=471279991983&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

i used a standard switch i had layin around from other projects. And of course the 12v Gen.

But thats it, the whole set up cost me ~$35 and my time.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah I have yet to to figure out what I will do with this charging system. Depending on what crazy idea I end up choosing is how I will end up wiring everything. That led panel I actually picked up in an electronics grab bag that a seller at my local swapmeet sells. You really can't go wrong for $2 tho. It displays volts, and the undisturbed numbers should display amps when connected. But I have no full circuit yet. I really posted this video. For those naysayers that were 100% sure it could not would not produce the power it said it would. Furthermore I wanted to see if there would be any power loss from the engine, also another discussed theory here from folks that said it would take I kid you not, 1/3 of the power from engine away. I'm pretty sure I saw that Floating around these threads somewhere. I thought to my self, I'm new to this forum, I'm not gonna argue here. I'm just going to get it, and do it. And low and behold I haven't noticed any physical power loss at all.
How much power is it said to generate, keep in mind that voltage alone isn't an indication of power, you'll need the current to get an idea of the wattage, and drag on the engine isn't apparent until you put load on the circuit.

How much power is it said to generate, keep in mind that voltage alone isn't an indication of power, you'll need the current to get an idea of the wattage, and drag on the engine isn't apparent until you put load on the circuit.
It's output is gonna be super super low. I'd be lucky if it puts out 12 watts. But as long as it keeps which ever battery I go with charged, I'd be happy with it.

Cool mod . You are using one of these? Baconator101, the converter you got off ebay is holding up ?View attachment 76655
Yes that's the one, I haven't really had much time to "really" test it yet, to measure,voltage, or current(amps). I have attached a 6 inch LED bar to it, I'm pretty sure the LED bar is a 40watt bar, wayyyy too powerful for this Gen. But it does light up, the 12v gen can only keep up 10v constant with the light bar on. And it is way brighter than the battery powered ones I normally use. I'm having doubts wether this Gen can do what I had purchased it for (keep a small 12v battery charged). I will say this, no noticeable power will be drawn from the bikes engine when in use. I say this because Last night I took it out for a spin, parked the bike , let it idle, got off the bike and flipped the switch to power the Voltmeter and LED bar. Didn't even sputter, I was expecting for the bike to turn off but it didn't even make it seem like it was going to kill it, and the idle is very low on the bike...........IF you or anybody reading this decides to purchase anything from gasbikedotnet do it straight from their website not thru eBay, You'll save money. As long as gasbike pays for shipping, I think I had to spend 25+ to get free shipping.

Yes that's the one, I haven't really had much time to "really" test it yet, to measure,voltage, or current(amps). I have attached a 6 inch LED bar to it, I'm pretty sure the LED bar is a 40watt bar, wayyyy too powerful for this Gen. But it does light up, the 12v gen can only keep up 10v constant with the light bar on. And it is way brighter than the battery powered ones I normally use. I'm having doubts wether this Gen can do what I had purchased it for (keep a small 12v battery charged). I will say this, no noticeable power will be drawn from the bikes engine when in use. I say this because Last night I took it out for a spin, parked the bike , let it idle, got off the bike and flipped the switch to power the Voltmeter and LED bar. Didn't even sputter, I was expecting for the bike to turn off but it didn't even make it seem like it was going to kill it, and the idle is very low on the bike...........IF you or anybody reading this decides to purchase anything from gasbikedotnet do it straight from their website not thru eBay, You'll save money. As long as gasbike pays for shipping, I think I had to spend 25+ to get free shipping.
Well buying through ebay takes the risk out of the equation at least in part, buying from the website means when they screw up they can put you on the back burner for a month or 2 instead of having ebay there to have your back.

Now with a 12 Watt output means if it's only 50% efficient at converting kinetic energy to electrical then you'd be using up 24 watts of the engines total output.

Since this is at least a 2hp engine on average generating the rough equivalent of 1500 watts then I wouldn't really expect the 24 watts or even 50 or a hundred watts to be too noticeable as drag on the engine.

The lack of power generated is the real downside, since it doesn't create much to power anything significant. I could see the 10w led flood lamp I use as my secondary headlight being powered by it relatively well, but after that the power left isn't much, perhaps enough to keep a battery charged so you could use an accessory or additional light at times.

Still there's some parasitic loss in the regulating circuitry, so a 10 Watt light might still be draining a battery while the engine runs... It's a delicate situation of figuring out what your power limits are and what is the best way to store what you won't be using.

I think it's great but it is only 10v to prevent high RPM blowout. Minigen Max doesn't have that limit, quality of brightness is still 10v. I have 2 dynamos also, helps it get a bit brighter.

It's because there is no cold cranking amps, unless we ADD the white wire voltage it's gonna be subpar like that and begin risking blowing equipment.

I have a green engine light, soon also a brake light powered via it.

Last edited:
I think it's great but it is only 10v to prevent high RPM blowout. Minigen Max doesn't have that limit, quality of brightness is still 10v. I have 2 dynamos also, helps it get a bit brighter.

It's because there is no cold cranking amps, unless we ADD the white wire voltage it's gonna be subpar like that and begin risking blowing equipment.

I have a green engine light, soon also a brake light powered via it.
Cold cranking amps? What in the world are you talking about? I think you got a wire crossed somewhere (I do all the time so I recognize the problem,) cold cranking amps are a measurement of how much an automotive battery can dump out at once to a starter motor.

What generator do you own exactly? Might not have to do with the voltage limit, the resistance of the lamp comes into play and without breaking a certain threshold in voltage while supplying enough current you might not get too much more out of it.

Be careful hooking up a generator and 2 Dynamos together one or the other can burn something out by tossing the ac voltage all around across everything else, maybe look into a rectifier circuit that will prevent current from looping back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back