Gear range or Cassette size for shifter kit

HseLoMein

Local time
5:55 PM
Hey Guys,

So I got the shifter kit with a stock 66cc engine installed on my bike and been riding it around. It is great and definately a huge improvement in virbration reduction. I havent had a chance to test it up a hill yet, i will do that tomorrow. I have the shifter kit on a what was a 10 speed bike.

Before the shifter kit I was going between 28-31 mph tops and after the kit has been installed i am still going the same speed maybe less than one mile less.

Is there a cassette size that will help me acheive a speed greater than 30 mph? i really want to go no faster than 35 mph. Do you think going to a 6 or 7 speed cassette will help?

I guess if the "6 or 7" speed has a smaller gear , with less teeth than you have now it would improve your top speed but I wonder if you would be better off with a smaller ring gear on your freewheel.
Do you use the thin ten speed bike tires? If so, it must be hard on the old bum.

No its not a racing bike its closer to a cruiser so i am using a mtb tire with no knobbies its comfortable. i dont trust a thin tire to the potholes of boston. :)

do you want to cruise at 35mph at a sustainable rpm OR do 35mph as the max attainable speed at redline ?

either way , i need to know what rpm your talking about, what the HT primary reduction is and what added reduction the SBP jackshaft provides. how many gears on the present cassette and what are the tooth counts of each cog ?

i'll run it on the dead accurate spread sheet i got from loquin.

steve

I have attached the formulas to use to calculate ratios using the shift kit and how it relates to standard rear sprocket setups.

Attachments

• Shift Kit Ratios.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 334
Back