Gear reduction help please

I

ironwarlock

If I take 1.6hp Tanaka. Put a 1in pulley on the motor shaft and a 13in pulley(sheave) on the back wheel. The wheel is 20 in tall. Will that be enough or not enough gear reduction. Might be able to find a 14in but they are very hard to come by.

Ok that sheave wont work so I will cut my own at the shop. Now it will be a 16in sheave and not 13. This will work better but is it enough?

I think you'll end up geared rather tall. I didn't actually figure it out on paper, just some quick calculations in my head...and I'm thinking your geared for over 70 mph with the 13" and still fairly close to 60mph with the 16". I don't know much about the Tanaka engines except that the one in my string trimmer revs like nuts....so I was guessing a power peak of around 8000 RPM with your engine. I could be way out to lunch on the engine RPM's though.

Pete

Ok this is what I come up with. ;) It lets me get and ratio. ( glad im in a machine shop.

xyx.jpg

xyxy.jpg

As I said in your other thread, be aware of cornoring clearence with that large wheel sheave. Factor in low tire pressue plus a tight turn at decent speed. I've dragged mufflers on freeway off-ramps during spirited riding only to find a tire running low.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress. :cool:

Back