Gearing question??? help needed

rkbonds

Local time
3:08 PM
Ok here's the details and question: I have a 24cc weedeater motor, 18 tooth drive gear, 26" mtn bike with slicks going for chain drive. What size gear should I use on the wheel? I have gear selectons from another 18 tooth and up. I'll take any speed over 12 mph.........:cool:;)

I think the overall ratio for a 26" bike is around 18:1. So multiply your drive gear by 18. That should get you into the ballpark. You will probably need reduction.

You will definitely need a jackshaft.

The biggest change is at the engine. Drive sprocket MUST be downsized, preferably to 10-tooth. That chains to a 32-44tooth jackshaft. The next 9-tooth hooks to a 50-tooth sprocket on the wheel.

I have a friction drive now, I was just wanting a more "positive" drive system. That way if it rains I'm still motoring along with no difference in capabilities.

I totally understand. My most reliable motor is my TLE43 on a friction drive kit, but I don't ride it much because of the weather. Check out Haggard's tutorial on pocket bike engines. He shows, step by step, what you need to do to go chain drive.

<new in here>
what do you mean friction drive kit?
and whatz up with 16:1? can you guys explain me that?

Back