Gearing Ratios

I was hoping to be able to use the existing wheel just reinforce it somehow

I will look at the golden eagle ones.

Depends on the existing wheel. You ain't goin' far from home, so push it back to the barn when the spokes rip out....with your young legs. :)

I bought two Mavic 719 rims for this build I'm lost in and I went with them for the excellent, noiseless, brake feel, high end Mavics offer. If I wanted real world bullet proof, these Salsa rims would have been bought.

1633_salsa_gordo_rim_1.jpg

Gordo means fat. :cool:

12g or 13g spokes are near impossible to find at the retail level so I just ordered 14g straight DT spokes. The front will be 3 cross, the rear 4 cross and tyed 'n soldered.
I did not go with the GEBE rim because I wanted to use a Staton rear hub with 4 sealed bearings.

Strong Wheels

I use Worksman Made in USA, no stronger wheel on the market, rolled rim, .120 spokes, freewheel, drum, or Shimano coaster front, plain or drum brake front, Mike

Does Worksman sell a 26" wheel that takes a 7 speed cassett? :D
Do they sell any parts independent of a whole bike? I did not see any offered on their site.

Worksman

I dunno what they actually do. I think they offer a freewheel (same thread as derailer type) I do buy from them as a dealer, Mike

would it be possible to have a solid wheel welded by a local welder? :eek: :eek:

Just over the spokes and weld a solid mass of metal :LOL:

Sounds insane I know but would it work? Welding the rim to the hub :devilish: :devilish:

just turn the whole wheel from a casting and be done with it, woohoo!! :devilish:

somebody around here has access to an "overkill" shop, don't they?

how about a global project, guys?

augi thats my idea just melt it into one solid coherent mass that cannot be destroyed :eek: I am just wondering how hard it will be to keep the wheel true if I have him weld it? or just bring it back to true with a sledge hammer :LOL:

Well not melt it but weld steel plates cut out to the shape of the wheel so that I can fit steel plates on both sides of the wheel.

Back