gears or no gears

S

sk8freak8989

i am deciding on wich bick to buy to put a kit on and it came down to two choices, a bick with gears and one with out. which do you prefer gears or no gears.

i have a 5-speed, sk8freak8989, & imho, it's the best way to go for versatility & ease of maintainence 8)

welcome to the 'board :)

augidog said:
& imho, it's the best way to go for versatility & ease of maintainence

i did not get any of that. lol. also which breakes do you prefer coaster brakes or hand braks.

thanks

well, i intend to have my bike for a long time, i felt that maintaining a freewheel would be easier than a coaster system, plus i have some lower gears for when i have to pedal.

Having the gears is good, but then it puts additional controls on your already clcuttered handlebars. I have like 21 gears but only use 1 most of the time.

I ride with a coaster brake, but would recommend rim (hand) brakes. The coaster has got me a little nervous at times; but the bike is not a daily rider nor is it neccesary transportation at any time....just for fun.
I also like single speeds (or very few gears), as I think it looks better, frees up the handlebars a bit, drops weight, is easier to maintain, and if you get a good gear ration you shouldn't have to pedal too hard or too fast to get 'er started or if she dies and you gotta pedal it home.

well i am looking for a bike to put the kit on and i want a beach Cruisers type. is there any Cruisers bikes that have no gears but a hand brake. i have looked a lot but no luck.

Most every crusier I've seen has only one gear and a coaster brake. I really don't know how common a crusier with rim brakes are.

I've seen a few at the discount stores...Walmart and Target, but I've seen an equal number of 3 speeds, but they have a coaster brake.

You can add rim brakes real easy and they're not very expensive. I used these (Link) and they work fine for the way I ride. Most of the cruiser frames already have a hole to mount them both in the front and rear.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back