GEBE 35 cc put on an Industrial Tricycle (x-tra heavy duty)

bamabikeguy

Local time
1:50 AM
July update: GEBE 35cc WorkmanTrike vs. Staton35ccWMproject

The Workman Cycles web pages take a bit of navigation, these are "built to specification tri and bicycles", take a few weeks for delivery.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/movers.html

Other bicycle models are here:

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/indbikes.html

The one I worked with for "Gene" is a PAV-3. (3 speed).

21_2007_0326tricycle0023_1.jpg

Specifications Gene made were changing the wheels, to a 24 inch front and 2-26 inch rears. Standard tires were a heavy duty Kevlar type, the inner tube was alson industrial.

However, he had a bit of overkill on the spokes, 12 gauge or .10 mm are more than enough, I'm thinking these were 10 g., requiring me to bore a little wider at the spoke ring notch, to get the ring snapped on.

21_2007_0326tricycle0016_1.jpg

Since I doubt I build many of these (unless he sells them to pizza delivery people or Hawaiin rental units like he is thinking about) I'll let the pix do the talking, take any questions you may have.....

21_collage2_4.jpg

Fancy flag. He put a handicap type setup on the rear of his van, said it got hit twice by passersby. Fortunately, never got hit with the bike aboard.

21_collage3_5.jpg

The Initial ride, trying to make "action shots"

21_collage1_6.jpg

Notes: 35 cc is the MINIMUM engine size I would use on a trike, but it had no trouble pulling the trike and Gene up the neighborhood hills.

The front wheel has a parking brake setup, and the wheel/cable is simply switched around, from left to right, no special tools or consideration needed.

The spoke ring, after snapping it on, barely touched the fork, so I wrapped that small area with tape, squeezed a slight crimp with my adjustable/lock wrench, it didn't take very much to get an acceptable clearance of 1/8 of an inch.

DRY FIT everything, the torque strap required about 1/4 inch grinding down to fit under the motor rack, and we drilled a hole in the front fork reflector mount, turned out to be the very best arrangement.

The ride was very comfortable due to the seat, but I don't see a trike setup like this hitting full speed, roads are too bumpy for that.

20 MPH is a breeze however, it was probably doing 25 on that hill in the collage, he claimed it was doing 30 on the downhill run.

It spins out on grass.

All in all, Yes, a 300 pound person could deliver pizzas, a 250 pound person could pull a small trailer. 35cc is perfect for the application, and that seat is <NICE>

And I don't think you would get away with calling it a Hover-round and cruising the grocery aisles.

March 26, 2007 install.

(CAN you believe 86 degrees in MARCH?)

21_collage3_5.jpg

Will it pull a 250 pound man up a hill?

Yes.
21_collage1_6.jpg

Does it have Pizza Delivery potential?
Again, yes. I think the thing can have a roof and windshield when it all get's said and done......

More detailed pix are in Rack em Up, here:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=975

(note to self: if the above link doesn't work, the link below does, because 1 edit changes the t=ref number)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?p=8007#8007

I started buying Golden Eagle engines in 2005, and as things developed, like changes in the belt/gear and engine sizes, I correlate the sizes of the engines to the weights of the riders, small, medium and large.

So as Dennis tweaks the engines along the way, my poor memory just holds the number he gave me originally, not the one he finally settled on. 25 35 and 40 are also the easiest way for potential customers of mine to compare performances.

I tried one 40, it was more than I needed, and so Gene's was the first mid-sized engine I've actually worked on, and wish he left it here so I could have broken in the engine for him.

Looks like biking comfort.

I too have a Golden Eagle engine mounted on a bike like you have in the back ground. I have never seen one mounted on a trike but good Idea. How does it handle with the engine mounted on the front wheel?

I did do something a little different awhile back. Mounted a Golden Eagle engine on a long wheel base recumbent bike with under seat steering. Now that was a kick, being so low to the ground and nothing in front of you except a front wheel and narrow,low frame. When I wound that thing up it felt like I was flying low. These motorized bicycles are more fun, there seems to be no limit what a person can do with these things.

Neat setup.

Bill Snow
Lynchburg, Virginia

Hey Bill,

What I really wished is Gene left the trike up here for me to put fifty "break in" miles on.

I followed the trike for about a 15 mile round trip in the neighborhood, Gene never got it up to 25 mph. He says that is going to be his top speed anyway.

Then I took it out for another 15 miles, these are my observations.

That trike, with that lawnmower type seat, is really nice, and 20-25 mph is fine. Higher speed, especially on rural roads make the front "jump" a bit. So there is NO taking it "easy", you have to concentrate on the task, both hands on the controls.

It would work on a recumbent trike fine. I just am not sure about the trikes with regular saddles, it just doesn't seem as comfortable/reliable/safe. You would be higher off the ground on one of those tricycles that tool around plants.

Here is what I do, if "balance" was a concern.

My bikeshop showed me a extra heavy duty "training wheel", a heavy gauged metal with a superior looking tire. I've used that once, for a 70 y.o. knee surgery patient, mounted it on the chain side of the rear wheel.

That little bit of confidence builder, with a short adjustment time, allows him to hit top speeds in the thirties. It also costs about $500-600 less, those Worksmen bikes are expensive.

So, I would say that trike would be very suitable for somebody just tooling around town, but NOT for extended out of town touring.

PS. Post some pix down in Rack em Up, finally some GEBE'r s coming in, and you can help us answer questions !!

Yes, some of those lightweight recumbent trikes really look slick and I agree that a Golden Eagle kit on one would do very well. I have put a couple of pictures of other bikes I have on this gallery (Schwinn/70cc and Black Phantom/Whizzer ). I may hold off putting the Golden Eagle picture on, I don't want anyone to think I'm a show off and trying to hog the picture gallery.

The pictures certainly add a lot to this forum of which I really enjoy.

Good to here what you had to say about the triike. Thanks.

Bill Snow

I have a upright Worksman bike I just ordered, how big is the front wheel of that trike? Is it a 20-inch?

When I was first eyeballing the frame with regards to getting the spoke ring on (and the frame-bending that this would require) just out of curiosity I checked to see if the spoke ring wouldn't also fit on the front wheel. The wheels I have are both 26", and I have the front drumbrake also--and the spokes were WAY off the spoke ring slots. Did you have to cut new slots, or did it fit on as-is?

I got the ring on mine by the way, but I had to bend the frame and cut new spoke slots to do it, and I will also have to cut a slot in the fender for the belt.... Over the next couple days I should have time to get it all together.
~

Gene custom sized the wheels on his trike, 24" in front and 26"ers in the back.

They are all that heavy 10 gauge.

btw: he calls about once a month, is have a great time tooling around B'ham, and has taken it to Atlanta and Tampa with that custom ramp rig he built on the back of his van.

Back