GEBE 35cc Throttle Problem! Please help!

one step at a time...so the idle's set at the moment, so you should be able to...

1: check the routing of the cable, make sure it's not binding and creeping when you turn the bars.

2: use the barrel/locknut to take up (only) the slack in the housing.

3: check throttle lever & plate for full travel from sitting on the idle-screw to full-open. watch for housing slack/movement.

4: lock barrel, double-check for full throttle travel & no cable-housing movement.

5: start the engine and check idle, if that's ok, check performance thru full throttle, if that's ok...

you should be good to go...lemme know.

solution maybe

bumwaiter, i had the same problem. it is probably because (pardon me if you did not) you have the throttle cable all tie-wrapped down on the frame.

The throttle cable has to stay relatively loose, or it will pull on the throttle and cause the engine to idle high and engage the clutch and the wheel starts turning.

I'm sure you already backed off that idle adjust screw. That's good; as I've found the engine can't idle too low anyway.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
yes, most utility engine throttles i've seen won't actually bottom out anyway.

thanks for pitching in :cool:

Last edited:
well, since we're not hearing anything more, i'm gonna guess he found out that's what it was :)

I have had something similar on the 32cc..

It seems that the cable is a little short and pulling it straight means a pull on the throttle arm on the carb which means more revs.

In the case of mine I just turn the frontwheel inboard on the side of the throttle (in this case LHS) and the revs drop to a low idle, in the middle its fine, turn right and its about 1/4 open throttle.

Regards the idling i have adjusted it down so with the wheel to the left by sound I am reckoning maybe 1500rpm idle - just off the point where it starts to complain and 4-stroke. It doesnt seem to cause a problem and its a lot nicer on the ear that way.

The only way of solving this is to have a longer throttle cable. I have to say I didnt have this problem on 'Anita'. But then that was a Zenoah engine on a MB frame with straight bars..

Jemma xx

PS: on the autocycles.co.uk there is a !!brand new!! winged wheel going begging for what seems a fairly reasonable price..

The cable not being long enough seems to be an inherent problem with the cruiser type bike. Mine is not quite long enough either, but I make do. I just can't route it the way I'd like, but it is workable. Another 6 inches maybe would be fine.

I will just chime in and say that My GEBE 32 Tanaka did the same thing and it was because I had my throttle cable strapped too tight onto the frame of the bike and the curves were too sharp. I have also turned down the idle screw to provent clutch chatter at idle.

Have you ckecked?

I have a Robin/Subaru 35cc engine from Golden Eagle. I love it dearly, however, when I start the engine, instead of idling, the engine revs almost as if I had the throttle fully engaged. It engages the belt drive right after I start it with the pull cord.

The cord isn't tangled, I wonder if I banged something loose. Anyone else have this problem?

Please help, any suggestion or wisdom would be much appreciated.

Is your throttle cable long enough or hung up somewhere?

Sound as if your throttle is open due to sticking of some type. Check your cable, then the throttle arm. Sometimes the throttle cable will stick at the throttle arm. I like to add a little graphite to the cable to keep it from sticking.

If it isn't that, then it could be the throttle plate inside the carb. It may be sticking. check for any burrs in the throat.

once i turned the idle screw, the idle stopped revving. the cable tension seems fine, but i adjusted it blindly and don't think its perfect, but its working great.

my main concern is it that the idle doesn't sound like it did straight out of the box, and i wish it did. ive been (excuse the pun) screwing around with the idle screw, but because I know so little about mechanics and engines its all just blind repairs. i don't know what i'm doing.

the throttle cable is very lightly taped to the bike. thank you all so much for the replies. i welcome any and all insights and comments. i'm going for a ride, after i adjust the idle screw.

Back