GEBE: Don's '66 "Heavy-Duti" EHO35

Split Bolts, Zip Ties, Sprockets and Drive Rings

Royz, American English is less literal and, perhaps, more a pragmatic/verbial reference, as in wrench vs spanner? But, I too get confused with some terms. To wit:

this method has even helped when used with a HT sprocket. one side's already "tied" by the sprocket, why not tie the other side, too?

I understand that the ring, more or less locks the connected spokes together on one side of wheel, but the HT sprocket reference has me wondering, unless it is too early in the AM, I am missing this.

Logically, it makes sense to reduce unwanted flexing of the spokes by the drive ring under power, hence the use of split-bolts and the ties, but if this were done at only the points where the drive ring was "attached," meaning clip points, would not the desired end result be achieved?

It seems tying at the cross points is to accomplish something else, or am I confused?

Last edited by a moderator:
confused

I guess once i get my kit i will be able to see more clearly but the talk of using the split nuts and the ties is still unclear but i think we can work it out :):).
This is a great forum and i find my self reading it more than my race car forums
Royz

assuming we start with a true wheel

since anything tied into, thus tying together, the spokes affects the natural (intended) flexing of the spokes...and our add-on drive components are only laced into one side...it made sense to us to find a way to try and equalize the restrictions...zip-tieing the other side was the closest to a mechanical solution we could come up with...it works for both GEBE drive-ring and HT sprocket...and can be felt best during cornering.

mostly, simple long-term observation has proven this a "better than nothing" tweak. i don't think this strengthens the wheel in any way, but is merely an attempt to balance the unintended changes we make to the intended geometry of the wheel.

Last edited:
Split Rings and Drive Ring

Evolution (and beer) is good!

HT sprocket is ? Rear cog set?

beer "was" good last nite, but i think i missed out on evolution

and why does my head (and most of the rest of me) feel so bad this mornin'? ;)

edit: HT sprocket (cog) uses two hefty rubber-rings to sandwich the spokes and a ring of 9 bolts to firmly squeeze them together.

Last edited:
Split Rings,Drive Rings and Beer

[COLOR="Blue"[COLOR="Blue"]]Ahhhh! I see, amigo!

Must be drinking green suds. Try some Bell's Two-Hearted ale...Heavy duty nectar, it is.

Slainte!
[/COLOR]
The HT I can picture, as you described it, but how used, etc?

I visualize cog sets and single cruiser cogs and this has me guessing. My bike craft is limited.

Back to beer....

Druve Ring Stability

I may have put the below pic in wrong thread...?

Think these things are the best yet, if they can be had 1/16th in quantity.

Been looking...

Attachments

• h0987.jpg
    h0987.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 199
I thought I would try a trick I have used in the past to strengthen my wheels. For any wheel builders here the spoke length is the same for this as for a standard build.I basically take the spoke to it's cross point and twist it around the spoke it crosses. The spoke changes direction and goes to the rim hole that the twist companion would have gone to. I have also done a double twist where the spoke ends up at the same rim hole it would have gone to normally. Either way the spoke is braced against the other spoke and makes for a much stiffer wheel. I do not remember seeing this on any other bikes but I did build my last bike for myself with a set of these wheels. I never broke a spoke or needed to true the wheels in 2500 miles of riding, some serious off road miles included. I hope the trick works for the GEBE ring. The wheel is not finished yet, it needs tightening and truing, and I will do that later and post a picture to compare. Course I have to get the ring and see if it will mount to this wheel.

Attachments

• whl.jpg
    whl.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 219
Split Bolts and Drive Ring

Thanks, Augi, I get it. I am just too much a GEBE-head and had not thought about the gear/chain rack drives.

Now if I can find some small split ring drill stops.

Anyone have some ideas there?

Regarding twisting spokes, not for me. Going that far, be better to re-lace wheel and slip on 5 or 6 of those copper split bolt alternatives shown above; particularly for me, who does not rip around all that much, and I imagine bending a spoke is not all that easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back