GEBE: First install, first ride, loves and hates

GEBE Gear Covers

No doubt they are not worth $7 scoots.

Moreover, these items are out-sourced and the production volume remains small, so the price would be higher than Wal-Mart crapola. Maybe it might be best to epoxy and nest them.

Cracking Covers

So far with 600+ miles on mine, I'm getting a groove wearing on the inside of the cover where it rests on the transmission housing. (GEBE R/S 35) I've already put a rubber washer under the cover at the mounting hole, and re-inforced it with duct tape..lol...seems to be working. I'll hold my tongue about the profit made in replacing a defective part...lol. Come to think of it, it may not be too overly difficult to make a cover of some kind...hmmm....sounds like a project to tinker with! he he :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at CATERPILLAR INC. A part like the cover is 75 cents tops made in India or wherever. I ordered many small parts and large for manufacture overseas. Hey... were not all unaware of costs....gimme a break!

GEBE Gear Cover

Larymor, I agree. If the GEBE gear cover fails, it should be covered under a warranty, and am surprised they charge mail costs.

Am sure Cat was able to order parts in volume. I did not mean to imply that we are naive on parts costs, but GEBE seems a small enterprise in East Lansing, MI, Michigan State and Olds country, so maybe they can order low volume cheap, but I have a hunch at this point they have some local injection company turning out a few hundred at a time. It is just a feeling I get when talking to them. Small business, getting bigger etc. But, you have a point.

Roy C. has grooves inside his cover, from the vibrations and tightening. If so, all the more reason to maybe reinforce inside with epoxy and glass or epoxy two covers together.

For what it is worth: The point where the cover is held down with the wing nut is definite weak spot. That soft plastic will eventually wear away or crack with the vibrations etc, obviously.

As I noted in earlier comments, I used Pliobond to fasten two stainless steel washers to inside and outside of cover to retard this wear, right off the bat. I later used a lock washer on the top.

I also replaced the idle wheel lever black knob with an acorn nut and cut a scrap piece of golf shaft to use a "finish" cover over shaft between acorn nut and base of the idle wheel lever.

I also filed off every part of cover that touched metal, even when slightly twisted. I believe the cover must be trimmed on all cases except one.

What I did seemed to eliminate the vibrations until I lost one washer ...

In spring I plan to epoxy the washers to the cover and epoxy glass cloth inside to stiffen. Cloth is available at most Mills Fleet Farms etc auto type stores.Epoxy is better than poly glass as it is more flexible and stronger/thicker. You can also use a epoxy paste to hang glass. It is the kind used by fishing rod makers to fasten cork grips and reels seats to rod blanks. Costs more, but maybe easier to use on the cover, but not sure.

Will pass on to GEBE.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover is something I can do without however I'd like a fender flare over the rear tire. I may try to modify a fender somehow. Could attach via the engine bolts beneath the main bracket, the frame or perhaps to the original cover bolt etc. Anyone ever try this and post pics?

I reinforced mine with a strip of aluminum from a sheet pan, drilled it, pop riveted and sprayed it with black bed liner inside the cover super thick...so far it's holding and is quieter. I had considered making one out of aluminum or steel and pounding it out the way we used to make ashtrays in metal shop.

That's actually a great idea Jim. I've got all the stuff here....sheet metal, rivets and spray undercoating. A nice little winter project along with changing out my clutch pads already.

My best fix is a rubber grommet with a ss washer inside and out. If your bike has rear suspension and you have the fwd strap mounted to the seat post be sure to put something in the strap that allows it to flex forward and aft. I made an easy fix and will post a picture if anyone wants it. If the foreward part of the cover hits the strap when flexing it will break the cover at the wing-nut area. File a 1/4 '' out of the cover above the strap. The whole operation takes about 20 minutes with a dremel tool or file and the grommet and washers cost about .85 cents. Good solid fix.

Back