GEBE from Friction and Chain

ollicat

Local time
10:34 PM
Hey folks. I have a Dimension Edge Friction drive and a 70 CC rack mount with the SBP shifter kit. Now I am curious about the GEBE system. I like the friction drive for the flats, great speed and hardly any vibration. I like the chain drive for slower speeds, better torque, and of course, riding on wet pavement. I also like the chain drive because of quicker acceleration. I don't like the vibration and complexity though.

Questions about GEBE?
1.) How is the vibration compared to the two kits above
2.) How is the top-end speed?
3.) How is acceleration at different speeds, from slow speeds to mid-speeds
4.) Besides the engines offered with the GEBE kit, has anyone else hooked up other engines - namely the Mitsubishi TLE 43?

Looking forward to advice here guys. Thanks

I think you'll find the Gebe setup performs representingly well in the categories you mention, particularly with the Mits 43.
When contemplating powering an older Gebe drive assembly that I traded for there were some words of caution here about the upper limit of peak power but having several new TLE43s on hand it seemed the likely choice for me.

It is working very well. I weigh 200 lbs. and have it on a 36 lb. bike. Acceleration is not an issue for me, rather the opposite in maintaining smooth response up to speed. Also I don't find the TLE43 to spike into the power band like some 2 strokes.

Questions about GEBE?
1.) How is the vibration compared to the two kits above

I install new engines out of the box, favoring the 33 cc and 35 cc, while for other customers in the county we are using the GEBE setup & they are buying the engines on the net, going all the way up to 49cc. IMHO, it's how tuned up the engine is that affects vibration most, my setups are more like sewing machines, while a used pocket rocket may really rattle the frame at idle.

2.) How is the top-end speed?

Unmodified engines, WOT, flat roads, no headwind can hold 33-35 mph pretty steadily, and that seems to be a comfortable speed zone. That 49cc mentioned above can hit over 50mph, (GEBE clutch and belt/#14 gear), but it feels okay out here in the rural stretches, at 40-45 mph.

3.) How is acceleration at different speeds, from slow speeds to mid-speeds

4.) Besides the engines offered with the GEBE kit, has anyone else hooked up other engines - namely the Mitsubishi TLE 43?

THAT is the heart of the matter, using engines over 40 cc.

(That's why I prefer staying under 35 cc, you can goose the throttle whenever you want, no problems offering demonstration rides).

The owner of the bike can get adjusted to getting it rolling (from a dead stop) before accelerating up to cruising speed.

It is friends and acquaintances of the bike owner who are prone to gunning the engine too much at the low end.

To make the "over 40 cc" systems work, you have to keep your buddies OFF the bike, else you will buy a belt the first time they don't help it up a steep grade.

sewing machine smooth, you betcha!

one more thing: it is NEVER too wet for the gebe.

I went from a DE to the GEBE. I wish I would have gotten the GEBE from the begining. I have the Mitshibishi TL43 and the GEBE is alot smoother than the DE plus alot more reliable. Had 2 clutches go out on the DE which left me stranded plus going through lots of tires. On the GEBE which I have had for 6 months I have wore out 1 gear so far and that is pretty much the only problem I have had with the GEBE setup. Get the GEBE you will not regret it!

So I am still learning about GEBE. Somebody tell me about the acceleration vs chain or friction. My chain drive accelerates nicely. The DE friction drive is very slow to accelerate but eventually gets there.

I don't need to do a jack rabbit start from a stop. But I would like to have decent acceleration after peddling to 5 - 7 mph. How does the GEBE do on acceleration compared to friction and chain?

Thanks for your help.

The acceleration is great, when I start out I pedal a little to ease the pressure on the belt but It is not needed because it accelerates just fine.

Thanks for the info on GEBE.

I've built Staton friction and chain drive bikes. Both have been trouble free, but now I think my next bike will be a GEBE using the Subaru Robin 33.5cc engine. My biggest concerns are the plastic drive gear on the spokes getting nonconcentric to the rim and the belt tensoner. I've seen solutions to both these questions in other threads, and now a big vote of confidence to the drive here. Wearing out a gear in less than a year is a new concern. Is that common?

Make sure your frame can accommodate the GEBE drive gear. Some bikes are too narrow for it without strong-arm "adjustments".

Back