gebe kit + honda 4 stroke

I like the idea of a Honda ghx 50 and the GEBE drive system.

I asked them if it could be done--they referred to it as a "motorcycle engine" and that it was too powerful. Well isn't their Tanaka powerful?

True, it has more power and torque; however, if a person goes easy on the throttle and resists the temptation for jack rabbit starts and excessively high speeds it should be OK.

I have read that Edge or Staton use the Honda 50 and has a clutch fitted to it.

So if there is a clutch available, would some of the readers please indicate:

Where a Honda engine with a clutch already mounted can be purchased,

Can it be fitted to the GEBE system?

This is very important to me so I would really like some information on the above.

Mac

I like the idea of a Honda ghx 50 and the GEBE drive system.

I asked them if it could be done--they referred to it as a "motorcycle engine" and that it was too powerful. Well isn't their Tanaka powerful?

True, it has more power and torque; however, if a person goes easy on the throttle and resists the temptation for jack rabbit starts and excessively high speeds it should be OK.

I have read that Edge or Staton use the Honda 50 and has a clutch fitted to it.

So if there is a clutch available, would some of the readers please indicate:

Where a Honda engine with a clutch already mounted can be purchased,

Can it be fitted to the GEBE system?

This is very important to me so I would really like some information on the above.

Mac

To start with I can't say that I've ever seen the Honda motor offered with a clutch already fitted. The vendor with consistantly the best prices for the Honda motor is an outfit called Small Engine Wharehouse http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com They have the GXH50 for as little as $210.00 without Tank and with the tank for an additional $50.00 Their shipping charges are very reasonable as well

Clutches are available from many different vendors. You just need to be sure to match the clutch you buy to the GEBE clutch bell in the GEBE PTO unit.

You will also need an adapter as the mounting points on the GXH50 are not the same as the GEBE PTO unit. Staton makes such an adapter. I believe it sells for approx $60.00.

Another option would be the Dax Titan XC 50cc 4-stroke This motor does come with the clutch already mounted and it has a mount that I believe will bolt directly to the GEBE PTO unit. It also sells for under $200.00 and does not require the additional adapter.

But the thing you have to keep in mind here is that when you go this route you are on your own. You have to do all the research to be sure that everything fits and if need be be able to fabricate any parts or modify existing parts. All guarantees are out the window and void so if it dosen't work you are out of luck.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=11738 here is a link to extensive thread on adapting a HP 2-stroke engine to the GEBE PTO and rack. It can give you an idea of all the little things that can come up as you try to make the various parts fit together and work smoothly. If you buy a complete kit non of these things need to be delt with.

ocscully

Last edited:
The Edge friction kit with the honda gx50 motor doesnt come with a clutch, they claim it has too much torque and eats up most clutches. Their setup uses a lever and cable to raise or lock the roller against the wheel. It works but a clutch would be better. 1 advantage of this system is when the motors raised up your bike is just a bike again.

I'm glad you found out the correct answer. I don't think you can be dissapointed with the Robin. I have two now, they seem bullet proof reliable and the performance is nice. It is nice to fill up at gas stations with 87 octane.

I am using 91, what do you think? is that unnecessary?

BTW that R/S is way stronger than my Honda GX35 4 stroke.

What kit does fit the Honda GXH 50

I like the Honda GXH 50 but who makes a kit for frame-mounting these engines and can I get a gear box for it too? I've been searching the threads for weeks now and I think I'm finding that I can't really have a frame mounted 50cc 4-stroke that isn't Chinese. Rack mounting is my absolutely last resort for the same reason that Ducati don't mount their motor above the rear wheel on their racing bikes. In fact their motor is an integral part of the frame.
I suggest chain drive from dax or stanton.Stanton is best but heavy,perhaps overbuilt.put engine on rear mount that comes with kit.choice of sprocket,if get one that pulls hills.don't pack too much stuff,use aluminium wheel from gasbike,or heavy spokes 12s

ok i spoke to Gebe today and they told me that with the honda they had no real good results (the Honda gxh 50) and that there is more parts to buy that they dont make , So i'm going to go with sub/rob 33.5 kit
P.S. Paul they said hello!!!!
go with new hod a 38cc

Back