GEBE Komatsu Zenoah Redmax GZ25N direct replacement

Cpuaid, My First Purchase After Finding Out About Mab And Joing Forums Was The Tle 43cc Mitsi. From Viza Motors In Az. $206.. Took 3 Months To Get It. Pd With Paypal, But They Couldn`t Help Me Because The Sale Was Out Of Ebay. By The Time It Got Here, I Had Read So Much Good Things About The Engine That Am Saving It For Some Special Build. Think They Are Hard To Get Now Days. Ron

I finally located a Workshop Manual for the GZ25N and it does indeed have the 54MM clutch. apparantly the shroud is the shaft housing adapter used by the following items which GEBE retained. No wonder it threw me off as to what type of clutch assembly the GZ25N uses. I was used to just bolting a small engine with exposed clutch housing to a rack. Looks like my choices will be very limited in finding a direct replacement engine for this old GEBE.

• Brushcutters BCZ2500S/BCZ2500SU
• Long Reach Trimmer LRTZ2500
• Short Reach Trimmer SRTZ2500
• Pole Saw PSZ2500
• Sweeper RMSZ2500
• Hand Held Edger HEZ2500S
• Split Boom Trimmer : EXZ2500S

Last edited:
Here is a blow up diagram of the engine. Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• GZ25N DIAGRAM.pdf
    85.9 KB · Views: 576
i just got off the phone with juls, gabbing about something else, but i asked about your question...it seems your engine uses a proprietary housing (you already knew that but i didn't)...she mentioned that direct-replacement engines (tho mostly zoomie-zoom cheapos that aren't long-lived) with a shaft output will be found in the RC/Car venue. hope this helps, i'll be interested in seeing what turns up.

ps-she also said, and i concur, that den would suggest the tanaka 32 & new vented clutch if the redmax ever finally bites it...i do know he loves them (from a seller/reliability/quality standpoint) as much as he loved the zenoahs.

i just dug up this "discontinued" page from golden eagle...no wonder you like the danged thing so much: http://www.bikeengines.com/redmax25info.htm

EDIT: just in case http://www.redmax.com/node3936.aspx?nid=158999

Last edited:
I Have Several Wacker Motors I Bought Off Ebay Etc. Imho I Think The Older Wacker Motors With 2 Crank Bearings And Starter Located Opposite The Power Out Put Side Are The Best Of Course. They Keep Cutting Production Costs, And Not Nearly The Engines They Were. I Gave Up On The Little Engines For Now, Maybe Later. Just My 2 Cents! Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, augidog. That's why alot of the gopedders uses the Chinese CY engines (which I will refuse to use). Now that I know the old GEBE uses the proprietary adapter, I can narrow my search by looking for used Redmax commercial trimmers, pole saws, and edgers. I also was contemplating on going to the Tanaka, but with the price of one of those engines and an adapter upgrade, I may as well just buy a new GEBE kit. And so the search continues...

You could consider the Tanaka or Mitsu. Power and quality of build are very similar to what you have now. Another option would be a Robin 25 or Honda 25 4 stroke, but you might be disapointed at the lower power, and I understand the smallest Hondas (25-35) are now made in Thailand instead of Japan and the quality/life span are poorer. The Robin, Tanaka, and Mitsubishi are well made little engines that would likely last as long as your RedMax has. I have the Robin 35 and love it, but it uses a 74mm clutch.

yeah i've seen them online. Redmax policy prevents their authorized dealers from posting prices online. I was finally able to locate a model of the trimmer that uses the GZ25N engine but apparently their has been a slight design change that some has said which affects the performance/reliability when compared with the older GZ25N's. Husqvarna acquired Komatsu Ltd.'s outdoor power products operation in 2006 and that's when GZ25N had a design change. My best bet is to locate an old trimmer with a pre-2005 manufactured engine date.

Does anyone know what engines can be used as a direct replacement for an older GEBE Komatsu Zenoah Redmax GZ25N kit? I love this engine to death due to it's horsepower to mileage ratio (220 miles+ per gallon!!) but it's impossible to find a spare engine for it online. Calling around the local Redmax dealer wasn't any help at all.

220 mpg? Surely you jest Sir. 2 or 4 stroke? I dunno about....well most of the stuff.
I wish there was a sticky or something with definitions for the GEBE, HAPPY and all those other names, they are driving me crazy I tell ya.

Back