GEBE : Mid-Wheel-Drive Articulated-Trike

i said in the "bike trailer" thread that i wasn't gonna be able to do any more fabbing right now...i was wrong, shoot i couldn't walk away from this for more than half an hour today, i forgot to eat until after 3 o'clock. all tacked together, i put the 42lb generator in it for a pedal-test. pretty solid a little wobble...needs a few strategic gussetts & time to weld it all up then it WILL be solid...and then i gotta bribe shane to paint it :)

the lines have spoken for themselves, it's a permanent mod...it's amazing it looks clunky (it is getting heavy) but it handles so nice. i expect to be down to low 20mph average touring speed, and who cares? by the time i'm finished there'll be an "articulated" skirt of some sort put into play, and the taillight will go on the rear. i have a great idea about a (zip-tie) hinged rear fender that outta work with the rear "shockster" just fine, too .

long (trailer) story short, this has already become a part of Sabrina-II...she has been building herself all along & i just have to listen...not even finished and it isn't a bike with a trailer anymore, to me this baby's an Inline-Trike forevermore.

3 steel rims, 10G front/9G mid/12G rear, drum-brakes front & mid, rear v-brake capable (!), 3 schwalbe marathons (50-559 reflex) w/thorn-resistant tubes, mid-wheel belt-drive. built to take a beating & about to get one too ;)

i've been wanting to do a "finished" gallery of the bike-now-trike with some detail before i hit the road anyways, it's gonna start out as an "almost finished" instead.

i'm off the grid after this weekend (no internet) but will make a final post of the whole contraption before i split :cool:

Attachments

• Mvc-021f.jpg
    Mvc-021f.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 935
  • Mvc-016f.jpg
    Mvc-016f.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
very nice work, well done. Can you show us some photos of the back wheel its looks like suspension :).

SAFE riding! 20mph should give you time to smell the roses.

"Shockster" add-on suspension

it was made for a 120-200 lb rider...it's stiff & i'm still tuning the springs for the lighter load.

and as i mentioned, it's v-brake capable...so maybe there's some more mad-scientist stuff yet to do.

thank you for the positive feedback fireball' :cool:

Attachments

• Mvc-023f.jpg
    Mvc-023f.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 476
I like it. Ingenious use of the steering tube for a hitch. Looks like something I would build.....meant as a compliment, but I don't know if it is....:whistle::giggle:

very interesting augi... I like your work here.

... what do you mean by "off the grid".... completely off??? No running water solar only electricity kinda thing???

[QUOTE='denny]Looks like something I would build.....meant as a compliment, but I don't know if it is....[/QUOTE]thanks, i think :whistle: the headset-hitch is definitely a strong joint no doubt :)

vtec said:
... what do you mean by "off the grid".... completely off??? No running water solar only electricity kinda thing???
cable/internet is being turned off in preparation for my departure...i'll have to "borrow" or use the library...but we have rain and possible 70mph winds today, so "off the grid" could be real at any minute, we're prepared...thanks for the input, i am loving this new configuration a LOT :cool:

Man I wish I could go off the grid !!!!
The gride is getting too expensive !!!!!

Really very creative and innovative combination of systems you have assembled, augi. Well done, indeed.

Your comment about the "trailer" wheel being brake capable has me interested. I've run into a bit of difficulty with my trike project - simply put, my only (partially) functional hand is no longer reliably strong enough to rely on it for braking pressures, especially on longer rides when it gets pretty fatigued.

So, I'm looking at applying some RC type technology to my braking issues. Specifically, I plan to run a pair of linear actuator circuits from a differential potentiometer switch. When pulled, the lever activated switch will activate linear pull actuators at each disc brake caliper assembly - two at the rear and one in the front, with braking force split 55% front, 45% rear. The further the brake lever is squeezed, the more braking force will be applied. If I can work it out I'll make the brakes ABS, with a rotation sensor front and rear that will cut braking force if a wheel ceases actually turning while braking. I don't like wheels locked up skids. The whole thing won't pull much power, and since I'm going with a 12 volt system based around a motorcycle battery anyway, it isn't a worry on losing braking ability.

I have a 12 volt smart charger from a defunct portable power drill which I intend to wire permanently into the electrical system, with a short coiled pigtail for when it is parked to plug into mains power for recharging. The useful part of that only weighs two ounce, and fits inside a large prescription bottle (I got lots of those).

So, why not an electric trailer brake, augi?

thank you SimpleSimon...there is quite a collection of rare & "vintage" parts in my ride...she's a work of salvage-art in my opinion...the "brands included" list is pretty long.

[QUOTE='Simon]So, why not an electric trailer brake, augi?[/QUOTE]well, in my case, it would be because i wouldn't have the slightest idea how to design or build it...but i understand your explaination and i see it happening :)

if i use a rear brake, i'll piggy-back a cable off the mid-wheel drum to apply at the same time, easily adjusted for balance too i would think :cool:

Last edited:
Back