GEBE motor mounting bracket

laugh

Local time
4:15 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to put this. I have a GEBE mount kit. I've been using it for over a year now with no problems, It works perfectly. However, I have been looking to do a few longer distance trips. To this end I have been thinking about remaking the motor mounting bracket in order to attach rear panniers to it. I am looking for the measurements and angels of the GEBE stock mounting bracket. I e-mailed GEBE but they would not send me the measurements. I was about to pull my kit apart and take them myself but then it occurred to me that someone on here has probably tried this already, or at least has a extra bracket around to take them from. If anyone has the measurements I would be appreciative. Thanks.

I wouldn't even take the strap off, just drill holes in it and jeri-rig your panniers to it.I've made side racks out of carbon rods, zip-ties, shoe-goo,trash cans, whatever it takes, as long as it's safe don't worry about the looks.

Looks is generally not important to me, on the other hand reliability is paramount I use this bike as my sole mode of transportation. I'm happy to hold things together with glue and bailing wire (most of my life works that way at the moment) but this mount needs to be durable, functional and adaptable to a lot of different on the ground type situation. On and given day I could be getting grocery across town to driving up and down hills to work, or pulling a trailer with 25 2 by 4's on it. I can't think of any way I can rig a system to be as reliable as my GEBE and that is as reliable as I would need it to be.

Make sure the bottoms of the panniers are stiff so they don't get caught up in the spokes.

You could base your build on undersaddle racks for LWB recumbents.Nice and wide/stiff, easily strapped to the main strap.

Its a good idea, the brackets look strong and durable. At the moment however I'm attached to the way my motor mount currently works. I want something the same shape and size as my golden eagle. Though I am going to make the bracket with a larger gauge steal as well as add reinforcement on the corners and welded on attachment points for panniers, and tie-offs. Of late i have also been thinking about adding some kind of bracket behind the engine to mount a tool box on. what do you think? Someone here has to have the measurements of the lower mounting bracket. please post them.

I've had good results with rear racks using a folding basket on the opposite side of the motor. Wald makes a good one. You can get them at niagaracycleworks.com.

Laugh, there was a dude here that went by Bamabikeguy (I think, could be bamabikedude), he was an encyclopedia of all things GEBE, really wish I'd had the chance to thank him.Anyway, search his posts, I know most of the measurements are there, maybe not angles.If that doesn't help, I suggest just buying a spare strap, either using it for a template, or mod it and swap when done.

Back