GEBE motor mounting bracket

I mounted a large fuel tank to the oposite side from the engine on my GEBE bike. At first I drilled 2 1/4" holes through the engine mounting strap, but it really weakened the strap and it started a slight side to side wobble. I ordered a new strap and mounted a home made clamp of angle aluminum without drilling through the strap. drill through the inside short angle and the outer, longer angle on either side of the strap. Then you can mount most anything to the outer angle rail as long as it sort of ballances, fore and aft. There is room near the top of the strap, just before it bends to the center, to mount a narrow angle inside and outside the strap without a clearance problem. I made sure the clamp couldn't slip down by also gluing the clamp on both sides with epoxy. It was strong and sturdy and I never had a problem with it.

I have a basket mounted over my engine in kind of the same way at the moment. it works but I'm not too crazy about the idea of riding more then century with it. Have you done longer distance rides with your current set up? If so how much dose your fuel tank way full?

My GEBE bike was stolen and never recovered, so it is not my current set-up. I went electric after that. The fuel tank was 3/4 gallon, so it might have weighed about 6 or maybe as much as 7 pounds, max. I also mounted a small saddle bag below the tank in which I carried a few groceries, like a half gallon of milk and a half gallon of OJ, plus a little more. You won't notice 20 pounds of imbalance from side to side. Your body will just naturally adjust your balance to compensate, automatically. Too much weight on one side of the GEBE mount could cause it to bend a bit, I guess, but I never noticed. I suppose you could mount 2 small saddlebags, one per side, below the level of the engine without problems. The GEBE engine mount strap is not thick and strong enough to put too much weight on it. I would limit the 2 bag set-up to no more than 30 or so pounds per side.

would it not be easer to just buy a $100.00 trailer
I love my $110.00 trailer and I can haul up to 180 pounds

can you provide us with video of you going down a 15% hill with 180pounds in your trailer?

as far as cheap panniers go
P6270087.JPG

I'm a man that lives on $750 a month, I do not have a video camera, thing like that are for rich people.
I have a 4 stroke kit and a 2 stroke kit
With the 4 stroke kit the most I have ever hauled is around 150- 160 pounds, (the trailer is rated at 180 pound max)
With the 2 stroke the most I have ever hauled is around 70- 80 pounds.
When loaded and going up a steep hill the 4 stroke kit it will go no faster then 10-15 mph, (empty like it not even there) but it will pull it fine, just not real fast
the few times I have had 70-80 pounds in the 2 stroke kit it maxed out at 12 mph. (empty like it not even there)
If I had a shift kit that would help a great deal, what I would give to have 1 for my 4 stroke kit, I would love 1 but just out of my price range., someday I hope to get one, if they ever drop in price.
There's also a gentleman on here that hauls construction equipment tools and wood on his custom built trailer and he will back me up he hauls 100+ pounds all the time

I can not drive a car anymore so I use my kits on a daily basic
After saving for 6 mounts to buy my 4 stroke kit, I just did not have the cash to buy a trailer, so for the first 3-4 months I did the same thing, I got a couple of cheap bucket and added them to the side of my bike, but I was limited on how much I could get home, you put to much weight and the bike gets hard to handle, even at slow speeds
With my trailer and my 4 stroke kit I can and have got, I 40 pound bag of dog, 1 40 pound bag of cat food, 4 gallons of milk , 2 gallons of bleach , the largest box of laundry detergent you can get, 2- 24pack of Dr.Pepper's 2 24 pack of sprite's. And several smaller/lighter items like paper towels, food and so on .
Total weight around 150-160 pounds, witch I pull home once a month
True full most of the time I try to keep it under 100 pounds, but that's just because of me and not because the trailer and bike.

problem is not going up.... its the need for a sudden stop coming down.
A unbraked trailer can throw you around. aka JACKKNIFE.
The use of panniers and or a cargo BICYCLE avoids this hazard
Also 1 or more less tires to go flat

40 pound bag of catfood... funny biggest I can buy is 20

I think the OP was going to use it for touring, depending on the distance, a trailer can add days to the trip.When I do my 80 mile round trip to the only Lowes around, it takes just under 2 hours each way, with a trailer I can't imagine.
Always preferable to have a single vehicle, but trailers are cool as can be for the big stuff, here's a good link I'm going to build from http://www.geneandsue.com/bike_trailer/bike_trailer.htm
I'm glad you said something about brakes for the trailer.

40 pound bag of catfood... funny biggest I can buy is 20
not if you buy direct from the animal food manufacture, we have a pet food manufacture, a block away from the grocery store
in the grocery stores the largest you can buy is 16 pounds cat food and 35 pounds dog food.
I do not know how many trailers you have pulled but I have never had mine even come close to jackknifing, as far as an unbraked trailer, I have had to make sudden stops even down hill several times I stopped fine, again when I'm pulling a loaded trailer I never get it over 13-15 MPH even down hill, and I always leave at least 1 or 2 car length in front of me.
Even in cases where a car flies around me and the gets in front of me and stops real fast I still have stopped fine, even when there was less then a car length, I still stopped fine.
With a bike you also can load it uneven and cause and you to crash your bike, you would be amazed how easy it is to do.
I never did but that's because I would load the buckets, as even as possible, even then there were times I had to stop and rearrange things.
Over all the pros and cons of a trailer v bike buckets the pros out weights the cons 10-1 , once you get accustomed to the trailer you will never ever want the buckets again, another good thing about the trailer is it put another object between you and the cars behind you.
again ask anyone that has a trailer and they will tell you there are so much better, then bike racks, bike, bags and so on especially if you are using your MB as your transportation like me it wonderful to be able to make 1 trip instead of 3-4

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ol-Roy-Meaty-Chunks-Gravy-Dog-Food-40-lb-Dogs/12444637
not #35
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meow-Mix-Dry-Cat-Food-24-lbs-Cats/19717190
not 16#

I am well versed in trailers as I have from 8foot #1000 to 30feet #24,000 capacity to use at any time I wish. Extreme heavy loads are NOT a good idea where in areas the hills are steep and long.
You hook one of those trailer tires on the edge of the pavement your NOT going to be happy at the possible outcome. Heavlly loaded trailers are best kept for flat land use not hilly areas. Now if they came out with a way to add brakes to a bicycle trailer then anywhere use is possible without overheating/burning up the brakes on the bicycle

Back