GEBE R/S 35: Am I running too rich?

"depending on her mood" is about right - if mine with the 32cc is in a good mood with a following wind I can get 34.9 (GPS) - if shes got a bad case of you know what its more like 26mph...

Another odd thing is the vibration at top end - I've the idea that its the back side of the belt twanging at speed which I have never seen before...

To check on the tune & mixture I look at the plug - if its a nice chocolate brown im ok... I have noticed with the Tanaka 32cc that at first the engine runs rich - and slowly as the engine runs in becomes closer to the right tune...

Strangely this mirrors some of the cars my father had - after maybe the first two service periods we'd regularly get 2-5mpg more than when the engine was tight...

Jemma xx

I may have been a little too rough on mine during break-in as well. My dad always maintained "break 'em in like yer gonna drive 'em"....lol. I'm still well pleased with the speeds I'm getting considering that I'm not far removed from a deridgable....lol. If wear this one out, I'm going for the 40cc Tanaka......zoooooooooooom!!! hehehe.

Four months later:

Alright, so I figured I'd post an update after the 4 month mark... First of all, I've found that the solution for my engine dying is to add an entire bottle of carb cleaner to each gallon of gas (this does nothing for my top-end speed problems though). I've been using 'Super Tech' brand 'Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner' from Walmart, which comes in 8oz bottles marketed as treating "up to 20 gallons"...

Second, my engine has been mounted (from the onset) at a pretty far backwards angle, which definitely helps blow oil into the filter -- I wouldn't be surprised if the carb is full of the stuff too.

So my current thoughts are to get a new engine this spring, and build a new mount with a bit more forwardsy orientation pretty soon too (possibly out of stainless)...

Cheers,
Wolfe.

Just for the heck of it, have you checked the spark arrestor, sometimes they get clogged?

So I finally found the solution, back in May. It turns out, my intake and exhaust valves both had clearances well in excess of the .13-.17mm recommended by the service manual.

My biggest feeler guage was 2mm (that's 2.0, not 0.2!) and still had room to wiggle freely...

In hindsight, it's amazing my engine even ran! Let alone carried me hundreds of miles in such a sorry state... It's a testament to Robin/Subaru's design!

On the bright side, I learned a lot more about my engine while working on it. I even made/discovered a performance tweak (moved a nut on the throttle cable, allowing the throttle to open a bit further) in a vain effort to prevent the engine from dying.

CW could you walk me through that intake/outtake valve clearance thing how to measure and adjust it. I have a little stalling thing also.

Astring, I'll try to get some instructions up soon. I'll try to get some detailed instructions up within a week. For now, you need to collect a couple of tools.

- A phillips head screwdriver
- A flathead? (Forget if I needed this or not.)
- A tiny* metric allen wrench.
- A small* wrench, box prefered.
- An automotive feeler gauge. You might need to borrow this if you don't have one. Or maybe I'll find a household object flose to factory specs? ;)

The actual job takes somewhere around half an hour to an hour, depending on how mechanically inclined you are... And the best part is that it's really easy on the R/S 35.

Cheers,
Wolfe.

* = Not sure what size, but I'll find out when I post later.

I would be interested too on what the fix is. I have a friend who has a eho35, is it possible that recently during some maintenance when the motor was lying on it's side, some oil may have bypassed the breather tube and got into the carb. This also might be due to the fact the crankcase was overfilled (he filled it last and not saying he overfilled it but in case he did). His engine runs rough now. It idles rough and runs rough especially between 15 and 20 mph. Specifically, what is the fix if oil has entered into the fuel system. Will lots of Seafoam clean out the oil or does the engine have to be disassembled and cleaned?

I'm glad that I found this thread. I have been having similar problems, and I only have ~250 miles on my R/S 35. I noticed the oil smells a bit of gasoline awhile back. I have the engine mounted slightly leaning backwards because of the location of the rear brake mount on the mountainbike frame it is on. So I am going to throurghly clean the spark plug, the air cleaner, rechange the oil to a lower level and then see what happens. It is very hilly where I live so I went with the lower gearing. It dropped my top speed a very slight amount but certainly makes up for it when climbing the hills. Top speed now ~28 mph. I'm satisfied with that.

Dale WU7X

Back