GEBE-supplied kill switch, throttle: not the best

Actually, I'm looking forward to lowering the center of gravity of my bike, as it's a bit top-heavy with the motor mount oriented straight up. Swinging it down and to the back will help with that quite a lot, with the result being some small amount of weight off the front tire, but not enough to matter.

The gyro effect is from the mass of the wheels spinning -- unaffected by the position of the motor other than its energy input into the system. I doubt that tiny piston & crankshaft spinning at 8Krpm constitute a significant gyroscopic force on their own. :)

Stock switch is, for now, working OK. (Translation: hasn't shocked me lately and generally turns off the motor on demand.) Still planning to replace it with something better, but planning to do so in conjunction with a complete electrical system build including proper headlight(s), LED turn signals, etc., all selected for compact size and high efficiency.

-AG

Motor Angle

It, destabilization, occurs when you move off straight line travel.

Even with engine in vertical drive position, if you zig-zag down a paved road, the bike will tend to destabilize a bit due to the engine position which moves the center of gravity rearward, at least it did for me, particularly if you have a spring front or shock fork - a sort of delayed whiplash effect; moreover, it can be "wiggly" enough to cause some very serious handling problems. Optimum is close to rider between wheels.

Then too, you have to consider filling the gas tank and checking the oil, if a 4-stroke.

Now, it time to go fishing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the kill switch and throttle do not live up to the rest of the GEBE set up. The kill switch band snapped when I first tried to install it. An easy fix for that was to replace the band with two small zip ties. That has worked well and I have moved the set-up to another bike and it works fine. I am still trying to find something to replace the throttle set up. I get thumb cramps trying to hold it for long periods. Also the clip does not hold the throttle well. Will continue to look for a good replacement.

Throttle and Kill Switch Clamps

I replaced the GEBE supplied clamps immediately with appropriately sized SS hose clamps.

Then I bought a throttle which would stay at speed, but decided it was not effective for emergency stops, so I switched to a sprung Sinz brake lever that is pictured here

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7082&highlight=Sinz

It requires hand pressure but shuts down when released to brake etc.

If you want the former, I sent it free to a member and if he is not using it, maybe he will send to you. It does require the rider make a deliberate move to shut down, so it could be a liability.

Nice build.

When I upgraded my grips to Ergon GP-L's last weekend, I went ahead and solved the throttle problem at the same time -- using the stock GEBE throttle, if you can believe it. (I'll post pictures at some point.)

I started by determining exactly where I wanted the throttle to mate up with the handlebars. Then (after removing the spring clip from the throttle) I used a scratch awl to mark where the hole in the bottom of the throttle assembly lined up with the handlebars while holding it in my preferred mounting position. I then drilled and (carefully) tapped the hole for a fine-thread metric bolt. A matching short bolt was used to secure the throttle assembly to the handlebars.

I am about 1000% happier with the stock GEBE throttle now that it's firmly mounted. I find that I've largely gotten used to the slight interference between the throttle housing and the thumb shifter on my right v-brake/shifter cluster -- limits me to downshifting two gears at a time, no big deal.

-AG

Last edited:
Back