GEBE/USPD Hybrid...an awesome accident!

it came to me in the middle of the nite, i swear...i popped up out of bed and went in to have a look...

i sed "self, we can do that."

we did do it...my golden eagle/currie hybrid, fully functional...

gas-throttle on the right, electric-controller on the left.

yes, as long as i'm in the proper speed-range, i can switch from anything to anything...on the fly!!! :cool:

Attachments

• MVC-287F.JPG
    MVC-287F.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 965
  • Mvc-289f.jpg
    Mvc-289f.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 611
  • MVC-288F.JPG
    MVC-288F.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 627
  • MVC-290F.JPG
    MVC-290F.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 587
  • Mvc-291f.jpg
    Mvc-291f.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 599
  • Mvc-292f.jpg
    Mvc-292f.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 574
Augie, would it be possible to mount that motor on a heavy-duty, standard-size bike rack? I have a Currie Mountain Trailz
Robert

I also have a Currie Mountain Trailz. If you put the engine on top of the rack, how would you remove the batteries since they slide strait up for removal? The frame mount seems like a good solution.

I've been racking my brain about this most of the day. My problem is I simply can not give up the space where the engine sits. I use that space for my lunch box. I have tried putting it on the the front in a basket before but caused steering issues.(I did it when my primary bike was full suspension, and the rear tire hit the basket.) The only solution I can think of is to mount the GEBE in the frame as high on the seat tube as I can get it. This would cause two problems:

A/ Gas may spill out:eek: But I don't think those tanks are large enough anyway. So I would remove the blow mold tank and get a HT style tank. Since the engine is below the top tube. The gas would gravity feed into the engine.:D

B/ I don't know if Golden Eagle makes a belt long enough to accommodate this or how to measure for one. I wonder if car serpentine belts would work, in a worst case scenario. But the auto parts store would look at me funny when they ask, "What's make and model?" and I say," E-zip/GEBE":-/

I'm really excited about the possibility of doin' this! My HT idea was pretty complicated. Cheaper but complicated. GEBE's are much more reliable, so maybe I can justify the cost to my financial advisor (THE WIFE).

OOOOOOO I'm a "Senior Member" now! Doesn't mean I know anything but it looks nice! :D

Last edited:
I'd make friction the last option to run anything including the generator. But it's quick and less costly than say putting a geared pulley on the generator shaft and doing the geared belt drive on it. If you put a geared pulley on the generator, can you tap into the existing drive belt?

haulin' stuff

it seems you may need to fabricate a beefier mounting strap for the engine, then think about saddlebags. gear it right, deryago!

me said:
this one's a keeper & needs a name

MBc...say hello to...
Mvc-305f.jpg

edit: i have pondered (spring-loaded) friction drive off the back of the belt :cool:

Last edited:
Cool Augie. Don't you love ideas that just move smoothly to fruition? It reminds me of something Uncle Punk posted somewhere, sometime, about a bike building itself. I wonder if I shouldn't look at some variation of what you did so I could run electric in town, then light the Lifan on the highway.

they DO build themselves

it was iRide who sed that when we was thrashin' S-2...but he's been quoted and agreed with many times since then :)

van, i don't know if i'd ever be able to fully describe the karma at
work here...i didn't "order" any of this stuff...it just happened :cool:

Oops. Sorry for the misattribution. Even the parts of projects that don't work, teach us something (sometimes about the aplication, sometimes about ourselves). It's all good.

I also have a Currie Mountain Trailz. If you put the engine on top of the rack, how would you remove the batteries since they slide strait up for removal? The frame mount seems like a good solution.

I've been racking my brain about this most of the day. My problem is I simply can not give up the space where the engine sits. I use that space for my lunch box. I have tried putting it on the the front in a basket before but caused steering issues.(

Well, for starters, I NEVER remove the batteries. I just plug 'em in in my garage at home, and since my boss lets me keep the bike inside at work, I can just plug it in there, too The only reason I can think of for removing the battery packs is to replace the batteries inside, and if you take good care of your batteries, you should have to do maybe every six months. I wouldn't mind having to remove the engine once every six months. :cool:

i think, from the battery pic...to place the engine on top of that would place it way beyond the reach of the belt.

Back