General Ignorance Question (Stihl Engines)

Check out Tinman Saws 660 stihl build, I think it's on youtube. It's pretty impressive.
I think Tinman Saws says 90% of the stihls he uses that kit on, only requires the base gasket removed to really get port timing where stihl should have built theirs. Then he does some little cuts at the bottom of the transfers & breaks a lip or something off & then cleans it up with his Foredom tool.

I think Tinman Saws says 90% of the stihls he uses that kit on, only requires the base gasket removed to really get port timing where stihl should have built theirs. Then he does some little cuts at the bottom of the transfers & breaks a lip or something off & then cleans it up with his Foredom tool.
What they're bucking up out there on the prairie is different than the woodlot, on the woodlot you need reliability. A china jug just has too much of a chance to descale. I saw that craps out is just going to cost you income money.

I watch Tinman all the time, I've seen some of his saws die. I like where he's going with the pipes though, those saws would really rip if he made the outlet a bit smaller.

I would port and pipe my 660 before I'd put on that piece of crap. A 660 is a $2500 saw and no cheap ass $140 cylinder is going to make it any better.

If I took that :poop: to any of the woodsmen around here I'd be laughed off the lot.

If you're just making a bike/toy sure, but not a real tool.
considering this is a discussion about hybrid MB engines on a forum dedicated to motorized bikes... I think it's safe to assume it's not going on a saw.

As far as Hyway goes, they are one of the more decent aftermarket brands out there. More than a few people have done builds with their cylinders with great success. Not saying they are Amazing, but they aren't total crap either.

What they're bucking up out there on the prairie is different than the woodlot, on the woodlot you need reliability. A china jug just has too much of a chance to descale. I saw that craps out is just going to cost you income money.

I watch Tinman all the time, I've seen some of his saws die. I like where he's going with the pipes though, those saws would really rip if he made the outlet a bit smaller.
No I understand you on a logging standpoint, if your saw goes down it cost them a $1000/minute. Plus I know the rpms on a saw is apple's to oranges when it come to being a motorbike engine versus a chainsaw.

Yeah I'm curious how the new stihl 500i is holding up. Stihls flagship electronic fuel injected chainsaw. I almost bought 1 this year, but I'm hoping I don't need to run a saw that big anymore.

Yeah I think Build, Break, & Fix on youtube or whatever his handle is. He sells a ms460 saw hybrid & I think he offers a ms660 saw hybrid now to. Complete engine w/3spring heavy clutch for $450.
Yeah, THAT guy who is no longer on either forum...I'm sure there are quite a few here who still remember having to put up with him and the "wars" he tried to start and provoking our valued long time members who actually know what they are doing...lol...Some people always have to be right, even when they are so wrong...lol.

He was also known as "Little Care Bear" here as well as "Evil Care Bear" on the other forum...Beware of this one.

Back