General n00b questions?

When did NuVinci start making a 7 speed hub? The NuVinci is a variable speed hub, it has NO set gear settings.
And yes, I read this thread, and after we were talking about NuVinci, Zomby Builder mentioned a Nexus 7 speed, and I mistook Nexus for NuVinci and it has been in my head ever since.

Thank you for the correction, Papa!

grndslm...enuff already...read read read is the right answer because the info is here...i'm gettin' darn tired of justifying policy, after a year of positive and forward evolution of the motorsport, we have earned our wings!!!

you better ponder your next post carefully. i knew from the beginning to expect this kinda stuff, and i knew what it would take to protect our contributing members from it...this is between you and me now, and you cannot win. nobody likes me anyway, so i have nothing to lose. your move.

(did i just read your admitting to "mocking" another MBc member for advocating policy?)

There is no personal attack here at all, but there is your poorly veiled attempt to deflect the criticism of your WRONG information. You can stomp your feet, yell and accuse all you want, it won’t help. If not me then one of the other members would have corrected you.
The whole point of encouraging new members to read, read, read, is to get them up to speed on this hobby. If you want someone to hold your hand and spoon feed you, call your mommy. The members have taken the time to write out so much information and its posted here, for all to see. Take time to look before you ask, is all we ask.

The “crud”, as you mentioned, is “quotes” from YOUR posts, so I guess in your opinion all you have posted is “crud”? Then all you have done is clog up the forum.
If you’re wrong, then accept the criticism and get on with it. But for you to continue this infantile display of “one up man ship”, or “I’ll get the last word in to prove I’m right”, is really clogging up the forum.
YOU were wrong, get over it.
But you won’t because you think if you just stomp your feet more or accuse more then it will make you right and everyone will believe you. Let me get the cheese ready to go with your upcoming whine.

Papa

grndslm...enuff already...read read read is the right answer because the info is here...
It sure is...but there's too much to sift thru! I have to believe that there's a better way to point n00bs in the right direction than "read, read, read".

nobody likes me anyway...
I really do appreciate the time you put in augi, but I still think it'd be better to have a general n00b response, or even a sticky to prevent those that *do* read from top to bottom, seems better than to say "read, read, read" when there's thousands and thousands and thousands of posts, some of which just say read, read, read or what's the difference between 2stroke & 4stroke? If you can't help n00bs get the general stuff out of the way promptly and easily, it makes the specifics that much harder to figure out.

(did i just read your admitting to "mocking" another MBc member for advocating policy?)
Yes, I did say "more or less mocking" because it started out as a transition phrase only, but I would never really answer someone with *just* read, read, read so in a way it was more or less mockery.

i have made this forum completely viewable to the public...many folks tell us they built their 1st MB without making a single post.

i have opened a "guest" forum...people can ask that basic question in there without joining or posting repeats in our garage.

i even recently started a "lazy-man's" forum where you can ask for a link to the answer. noone's using it, maybe because they still have to read read read the link? nope, it's because the latest wave of new sign-ups are onboard with our policies, and don't mind doing a bit of their own work.

i've done more than enuff for the new builder, our dedicated members understand that this forum is a process...YOU are responsible for NOT adding yet another repeat topic for the new folks to sift thru. you haven't exactly pitched in on that front, now have you? imagine this place without firm policies...120 thousand posts, 2/3 junk...believe it, without our firm moderation behind the scenes, that is what this place would be. i know, because i'm the one keeping that junk off your monitor, along with our hardworking moddy-staff.

so, you go ahead & keep concentrating on the (maybe a) dozen problem issues we have going (but that's our job, not yours) & you will miss out on the several hundred active and productive threads that are never any trouble for staff.

what we do works...we won't be changing what we do. so if you just got here, you best start reading. when you've progressed to the point where you have something new to add, let 'er rip!

i have made this forum completely viewable to the public...many folks tell us they built their 1st MB without making a single post.
Those people prolly already have innate mechanical abilities or lots of previous mechanical knowledge... and even those guys could possibly benefit from a general n00b sticky.

i even recently started a "lazy-man's" forum where you can ask for a link to the answer. noone's using it, maybe because they still have to read read read the link? nope, it's because the latest wave of new sign-ups are onboard with our policies, and don't mind doing a bit of their own work.
I prolly woulda noticed it if it was titled "Lazy Man's Forum; Gimme Links!" Why even start the title with "New Members..." when most all the n00bs will see everybody else is posting & viewing [& more likely to get a general, community response] in the General Discussion, Frame-Mounted, & Rack-Mounted forums??

YOU are responsible for NOT adding yet another repeat topic for the new folks to sift thru.
I'm giving you a pretty good idea to prevent the retarded posting of which you speak.

you haven't exactly pitched in on that front, now have you?
Are we having the same conversation or what??

imagine this place without firm policies...120 thousand posts, 2/3 junk...believe it, without our firm moderation behind the scenes, that is what this place would be. i know, because i'm the one keeping that junk off your monitor, along with our hardworking moddy-staff.
OK, now imagine this place with GOOD, firm policies and GOOD organization... then you'd have even less posts with better information in less space.

what we do works...we won't be changing what we do.
You add a new forum that pretty much asks for more of these repeat topics that you claim you don't want. However, you can't add a General n00bs sticky in the General Discussion forum that answers at least 9 outta 10 of their n00by questions right off the bat?!? What's wrong with this whole picture?

when you've progressed to the point where you have something new to add, let 'er rip!
I give fresh responses everyday. When you've progressed to the point of understanding the n00b, let the sticky stick.

i so completely understand the new forum-user...and this is not the place to cut your forum-teeth...it's all laid out in the rules and "stickies"...you join MBc, you join a team...you can't hang, or won't even try to help maintain the board, then begone. i volunteer my time to help people motorvate their bicycle, there are plenty of places where folks can learn about how forums work. you seem to know a lot about forum-usage but you also seem clueless about teamwork.

you haven't read read read anything about our history, growth, or constant-evolution. i warned you about the "what's the best?" topic but you weren't having any of it, so i let it run to it's non-conclusion to press my point...we've all seen enuff of you to know you're not gonna be contributing anything worthwhile (that's not entirely true, but the friction outweighs your contributions) so...

cya.

when you've progressed to the point where you've realized you're in someone else's house, use the "contact us" form...choose the "my account is active but i can't post" option, and we'll talk. if we can reach an accord, i'll clean up all our little spats and we'll start fresh. this process has worked out well for other members who are active to this day. you can still view everything, tho, so read on.

meantime, i'm gonna go read read read the cool stuff the members who deserve my attention are posting...as it stands right now, you're just too much work for too little in return. in my experienced opinion, you should have just stuck to a simple "project topic" til you figured things out.

My $0.20 AU worth

From my perspective, I use a level of humour and patience when it comes to things mechanical. Human ingenuity at it's best is priceless.

With HT, I have had to dig a bit deeper lately, but I have not been late to any of my appointments, yet.
The HT gets me there and back,only once it failed me,I was prepared.

But most of my time when I get back is fixes that are not anyone's fault, when it's the cheapest alternative at the moment on a standard kit.

But these fixes are inexcusable had the kit's contents been manufactured elsewhere. Let's say someone told you this is the best the BMW can do,
it be a insult.
I can start the blame game of who's fault it actually is for quality, but as I stated before this is not the place.

The HT is just that, Happy Time Standard ( HT-S) I can accept up to a point the intelectual insult by the manufacturer/s, yet I can accept and expect to upgrade the standard of this product,myself and with this forum if we choose to.
It's obvious by now, the money to be made is SPARE PARTS, always has been and always will be, the automotive industry is sheer proof of that, HT is no diffarent.
Here in this forum we share, or at least I do and a few others the upgrading of the Standard HT, so hopefully it's "status" might be lifted to HT-S1 or
HT-S2....., S1 and or S2 and so on may become a recognisable level of after market upgraded level of quality-durability and this goes back to the principle, you get what you pay for with a DIY basis.

A motor, to fit my bicycle at less than $300.00 AU in these times of fuel prices, and it may get 70 Km to a Litre of fuel, is good Value at a minimum level of quality and initial cost. It will get Joe Average to work cheaper than running a car, hopefully.

To get better Value, understanding what goes on behind the scenes where the HT is produced, we may need to spend more for quality per HT unit and bring that unit up to specs. at let's say BMW level of quality.

It's give and take, you cannot expect a BMW quality HT kit at these prices.

The trick then is,
how much will it cost per unit to upgrade quality ?

So far for example, to upgrade the first line items, all external fasteners
( Nut,Bolts,Washers and now that Clutch Ball Bearing) is probably $35.00 AU + the cost of your kit.
OR, IF, HT Land ever do "get it" and decide to join in the race with the rest of the world and pull their finger out and include these same quality fasteners at production level, it might cost $20.00 more.
Would anyone still pay for a HT kit, if it costed $20.00 more, with a upgraded quality of all fastners, rather than go out and do it yourself and learn a new skill along the way ?

Last edited:
Back