Generating voltage from the magnito magnets?

bubbatgs

Local time
3:39 PM
I have been thinking I could make small coils of copper to create electricty, directly from the flywheel magnet. If anyone has tried, please let me know the results!!!:cool: If not I think I will play a little bit!
I figure if I can get a volt (DC) from a coil, I could run a LED lighting system directly for the motor!!! Any thought might be helpful!

You can't get DC from a coil. Only AC. To get DC you need a rectifier bridge.

study late 60s and early 70s japanese two stroke motorcycles. they all used this arrange ment for the headlights

Good idea!

NHow thats thinking! I have been told,"everything we learn; we learn from someone else!" Thank you!

You can get single and two phase a/c current from copper wires wound around laminate steel plates bound into assembled poles. I don't know if you can get 3 phase as there might be interference from other objects inside of the area you are trying to populate. you probably won't be able to do 2 phase either. The number of phases is determined by the number of poles you can place. The poles must be placed at 120° center line to center line intervals when deciding how it will be laid out. The laminate stamped pole pieces would be of a special steel material used for laminate parts, second, you would have to count, bind and secure a given number of these laminates into a structure, then wrap an insulation around the area for winding and then properly wind your varnished copper wire into a coil form. This form would need an additional wrapping of tape or be epoxy sealed. I've done this many times over the years when building electric motors and other experimental devices....no big deal. All this must be secured to your stator plate and positioned so you have around .006" clearance between your pole ends and the inside of your flywheels I.D..
You'll also find that a flywheel with a full population of magnets will produce much more energy than the one provide for you. Last, this whole thing is not practical, but at least you have some idea of how it could be done. I have full drawings of such an assembly if you are interested.

Cris

Last edited:
Forget it,you need a laminated iron 'core" of high silicon transformer steel that maintains VERY close proximity (less than 1/32 " or a fraction of a millimeter) to the circular flywheel,to close the magnetic circuit and envelop enough magnetic flux.Otherwise the induced voltage will be too low,that is to say it would then take many,many turns of (of necessity) thin copper wire to get an adequate output,say 6V ac or so.But this coil would have a high resistance,probably into ten's of ohms ,with 6V and 10 Ohm source resistance the max output is about 0.6 Watt dc (including rectifier diode drops) that is 0.1 amp at 6V not much.Unless you have a precisely shaped coil in very close proximity and enough space to put a winding on it ,you'll be spinning your wheels.I'd say forget it, unless you absolutely need something to occupy yourself with (Think Sisyphus and his rock).If you have an HT engine you'd be better of fashioning a battery charge circuit using thr White Wire,you can find a few I came up with in a thread started by Etacovda.titled 'Solid HT white wire data', in which I posted some schematics to charge 6V or 12 V batteries.Good for about 0.5 Amp charge current for either a 6 or 12 V battery.

Back