Generator idea.

I just purchased one of those generators, i want to set up a belt systems for it using the belt pulley for a belt driven motor and the alternator will be fixed to the bike rack, hopefully this will give it enough rpms to charge the batteries on my elec system.

I just purchased one of those generators, i want to set up a belt systems for it using the belt pulley for a belt driven motor and the alternator will be fixed to the bike rack, hopefully this will give it enough rpms to charge the batteries on my elec system.

Did you pay $40 in shipping or are you in the Pac Rim?

You can use an old stepper motor as a 4-phase alternator Some of the older model printers, or business model laserjets have pretty good sized stepper motors in 'em. Plus, depending on their step angle, they can generate their max power if they're operated in the 200-300 RPM range. And, since they're turning up all over the place, they've become pretty cheap as surplus items.

Here's a surplus 23 watt motor that sells for less than $5, for instance.

FYI. This surplus site also has DC motors that might work. Here's a 12V motor that when used as a generator, should generate in the 20-40 watt range, at 2300 RPM.

Last edited:
BTW. If you have one of Staton's gearboxes, I've always thought that you could epoxy a powerful, round magnet into each of the 6 holes in the first driven gear, alternating polarity, then mount a coil so that the magnetic fields sweep past it. In fact, if you drill a hole in the case, opposite the motor, about the same diameter as the holes in the gear (and the magnets) you could wrap your coil around a ferrite rod, and mount the coil outside the case, extending the rod through so that it nearly touches the magnets. As the magnets, with their alternating north/south polarity move past the ferrite rod, the magnetic field will be extended by the ferrite rod so that it extends through the coils, generating a pulse of electricity, 6 pulses per main gear revolution - a single-phase generator! You could even add two, or four more coils, evenly spaced in a circle around the case, to create a three phase or 5 phase alternator, respectively.

ref: The Polyphase Motor/Generator - How Does It Work?

Attachments

• image_thumbnailerCAS2S24F.jpg
    image_thumbnailerCAS2S24F.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Staton Alternator.JPG
    Staton Alternator.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Yes i did pay the 40 in shipping. If i dont recevice it its not a huge loss. i dont think ill see it until mid feb or march

Sorry to disabuse you of this notion Lou, but I'm afraid that sticking magnets on the gear in the Staton gearbox is not going to cut it.The key to inducing useful voltages is to have an adequate magnetic flux captured by the generating coil,this means having a small (below 1 mm) airgap in the closed magnetic circuit (any magnetic field is closed upon itself ).Otherwise it takes zillions of windings with attendant high R and of course low output.The basis fact is that the reluctance of the air gap is orders of magnitude higher than the iron or the ferrite portion,and will determine the magnetic fieldstrength and flux.(field strength x area) A U shaped pick up coil would help some,in closing the magnetic curcuit but you would still have the thickness+ of the case to contend with,not only that,the moving field would also induce eddy currents in the aluminum, reducing the exterior magnetic flux still more.I don't think anything workable electromagnetically could be stuck inside the casing either.If this stumps you, get a treatise on the design of electrical machinery,I can't get further into the math here.As far as the stepper motors are concerned the article in question was too short on specifics to be of much use regrettably,no info on winding resistance and inductance or on V/rpm, all necessary parameters to assess the suitability of these devices for use as generators.

HseLoMein,

It was that shipping that killed me it cost more to ship than it cost to buy it. I really want to hear how it works out for you. I am shooting for attaching to the end of SBP jack shaft

has anyone tried using a Harley alternator? mount to a plate & then use a custom designed shaft to turn the rotor & could use same as a jackshaft

peopel have used the alternator on way more than just Harleys. even the people into alternative aircraft use the harley alternator to reduce weight adapted to the front of a corvair engine so as to eliminate a possible belt failure. possible to get amp up to mid 40s depending on which model you want.

another Harley possibility is the alternator conversion for pre 1970s big twins & sportsters to about 1983 it is a compact 3 1/2" round with a small gear drive with 2 through bolts to mount it. 17 amp output.

P.S. I worked at an independent Harley shop for 13 years quit after having a falling out with owner

Later,
Randy

a bit of an gold plated overkill,150 W capability, when you need only 20W or so,pricey too.

Back