Generators... I don't know what I'm talking about

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
2:59 AM
Last night while YouTubing I saw a video where a guy hooked up a little generator to the small gear in the clutch housing (don't know the proper name). Got me to thinking, I wonder if you could somehow put a little generator on the chain tensioner?

This was discussed very recently in the electrical section.

I was thinking mainly 5v USB devices, rechargable lights, possibly to charge a phone if it is stable enough. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Sounds like a good idea. But most generators or car alternators are big and heavy looks difficult to fit I saw the video too the guy went through a tremendous amount of s**t to get it to work.
I bought a magneto generator, but the power still Leach off the mag and was so flimsy fell apart did not break fell apart.

But a generator would be real nice for day and night lights but it's gonna half to be real big to get enough watts out of it, until a new inventor comes along.

Having run various bottle gennies since the 1980s and garage-rigged battery-based electrical systems with and without turn signals over the years, I love the new-ish USB-rechargeable lights. They are light and cheap. Sure they are cumbersome to turn on and off if you have 4 of em on a bike like I do, but they make things very simple overall. Bicycle hand signals are superior for transmitting your intentions than flashing turn signals, I've found.

My white bike has a 12v system based around a 12v 5ah AGM battery to run my TrailTech Vapor speedometer. Also has a small ATV handlebar control unit with headlight switches, horn switch etc. Have a motorcycle tailight with turn-signals built-in that I haven't installed yet. I think it's all rather unsightly, all the wires that need to be run and fuseboxes to be installed.

I have a motorcycle, I don't think all this electrical crap is needed on a bicycle, even a motor-assisted one.
Edit: and let's be honest - turn signals don't work that great on motorcycles, either. Not here in California.

Last edited:
I think a wind based unit would be pretty handy to drive just a headlight, I've seen a few online but they are few and far between sadly.

most practical for achieving the lighting you want and not getting in way of your build or riding is the rechargeable USB things. my 12v system was difficult to wire, redone to be less imposing and more unseen harness. I really felt the weight of the SLA battery, went to Lipo, and remove the battery box to charge at home. it's 4.5 pounds everything total, not including my Led mirrors. I still use handsignals n wear neon gloves even with the t signals. the motorcycle handlebar control was a bear to connect.
IF all you want is head/taillight, so simple rechargeable by usb,, no wires, and LED are getting brighter all the time. CREE headlight brighter than COB for same juice used.

add a genny and that'd 2 lbs and more wiring. my poor 48cc 700c roadbike,, so light and nimble new, unmotorized,, top speed unaffected, but it feels like a tank now. Shoulda just bought a Tomos,,,
I wanted to build a kit to sell, so ppl can just mount it. still might. hardly anyone wants to fight the 20+ hours to build a full lighting system. my advice don't do it lol

Back