Generators... I don't know what I'm talking about

but 2 wires coming off the alternator, 3 connections on the bridge C + C. I'm always confused when stuff isn't just +/- red n black lol. maybe I can pull up a simple wiring diagram. too many years since I did much more than wire some batteries, resistors and LEDs up.

The outer 2 tabs are for the 2 AC lines from the alternator and the middle one is 12v positive output. The negative would be the housing.

Look into thermal electric generators (tegs). I've been meaning to rig one up and do some testing for a while now. I think there can be a market for tegs on motorized bicycles.
They generate electricity from heat a difference from one side of the wafer to the other. Just need one side on something hot and the other side needs a heatsink aimed to moving air to keep it cool. They don't generate much individually, but can be rigged up in series and parallel to get the right volts and watts.
Would keep the engines cooler too (bonus). They don't rob power from the engine because there is no drag on the powertrain or an additional coil on the magneto. They generate electricity from waste heat already leaving the engine (waste energy). That would make this system the most efficient at generating electricity.

yeah put TEGs on the expansion chamber with heat sinks. only drawback is they don't create many watts. i think you need 15-20 40mm chips to power a decent headlight. last I looked, they push like 1/4watt

Way to much work. I'll keep using my 4s pcb bms pack with a wall charger lol. I know most dont bring their bikes inside but I ot power in my shed. Thought about that little gen but then it needs a regulator and more wiring add to possible things to go wrong. I do like the dynamo hub Tony has but couldn't find the right one when I built the rims.

Back