Georgia boy - lookin to buy!

Scooter-McScoot

Local time
9:40 AM
What's up everyone, stopping in to introduce myself and the typical cliche of an intro. My name is Michael, 25, from Georgia and am pretty new to the motorized bicycle world. Been lurking and reading all weekend so it's time for a proper introduction. Very nice forum btw!!

Just looking to buy a 50cc or under motor to throw on a bike i've got. Not even sure what type of bike it is, just a 26" aluminum 21 speed i got for tha free! It's got the skinnies front and rear, just your typical bicycle Sunday cruiser.

A little about me: I can design, fab, create, fab just about anything I can think up so i'm gonna apply this to my BUDGET BUILD. Pics will definitely come. Why 50cc or less? So i don't have to get tag, insurance and all that good stuff. In GA, if it's a bicycle with a motor (<= 50cc) you just need a headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, helmet, and a drivers license. My plan is to also incorporate some junkyard parts off some cars and some parts off my old push lawn mowers & junk bikes. Maybe some electric mirrors, disc brakes, thumb throttle, you name it. Yes i'm crazy/ridiculuos.

I've been trying to figure out which one to buy and so far i've got a very wide range of options and need to consolidate:
1) Duanes (dax) 49cc 2 stroker
2) This one --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140228970444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004
3) Powerkings --> http://cgi.ebay.com/49cc-Motor-bicy...64647QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
4) or a chainsaw motor with a centrifugal clutch (these may be more than 50cc not sure)
5) or anything else you can think up or SUGGEST

Are the main problems with the HT motors the bolts, hardware and bearings? If so i have access to Timken bearings and grade 8 hardware... No prob to "upgrade".

The Titan is sweet but is just simply out of my budget unfortunately.
Orginal plan was to use one of my vertical shaft 5hp lawn mower motors til i read the laws on engine size. So now i'm looking for that fine balance between longevity, durability, & COST. Prolly sounds like an oxy moron but i'm still learning. I have no desire to race or drive 80mph on a bicycle, or 0-30 in 0.25 seconds, just a simple cruiser/commuter. Suggestions/advice welcome!!
-Michael

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
hello michael and welcome to MBc...my first engine was from ebay and it sucked! you get what you pay for! at least save the $225.oo to buy from thatsdax or chrishill both those engines and sellers do you right..be prepared for allot of tinkering or tweaking as some might say...it's a good learning engine imo...good luck and happy motoring!

Yeah that's what i was thinking too. Glad i didn't jump on the ebay motor kit before i found this site! I live for the tinkering & tweaking!!

Back