Georgia

Remember, plead NOT GUILTY to anything, and threaten APPEAL if things go agin ya.

You asked earlier about my Anatole France "quote", it has to do with idealistic democracy. If they penalize a bike with an small engine, they are working AGAINST energy independence.

Ergo-Barney Fife is a

Its Legal

I looked up the statutes governing mopeds in GA. You have to wear an approved helmet, but not necessarily a DOT approved one. Apparently the GSP has a list somewhere, but all DOT helmets are ok. Otherwise you should be fine, just obey all traffic rules & don't ride on limited access roads or interstates (no-brainer you say?). That's about it. Georgia's easy (unlike Alabama- what a pain!)
Charlie

Not Mopeds. Motor assisted bicycle

These are not mopeds. These are motor assisted bicycles. Thanks..

Yep

Hey there,
I know that, and you know that...But Georgia sees it differently. The Code of GA makes it pretty plain that if it goes, has two wheels, & a motor under a certain HP rating then it is considered a moped. Personally, I would try the motor-assisted cycle thing if asked, but be sure I know the moped stuff as a fall back position. Either way, in GA they are ok - just wear your helmet.
Charlie

Georgia moped laws

Under Georgia law, any motorized cycle with an engine of 50cc or less, or an electric motor of 2 brake horsepower or less, that can't exceed 30 MPH on a level surface, is considered a moped. There are other requirements, however, that you find if you dig a little deeper into Title 40. Mopeds are required to have front and rear turn signals, a brake light, a taillight, and a headlight. They also have to have -- and here's a problem -- dot-approved tires. All the other requirements can be easily taken care of, but you can't put moped tires on a bike. :eek: I imagine there are regulations involving what type of brakes they have to have as well, though I haven't looked into that yet. So as far as I can tell, motorized bicycles aren't strictly legal in Georgia. Have any of you other guys from Georgia had problems with the cops, and where do you ride?

I live in Decatur, and think this is my first post, so hi everyone.

I just bought an 80cc kit off eBay, so I'm glad to see that no one has reported being f**ked with by the cops over something so trivial.

I was also wondering if any of you can tell me what kind of 2 stroke oil you use?

Back