German 4 stroker from the SF East Bay

Nirve

Local time
7:33 AM
Hello fellow motorized bicyclists!

I have been in this forum for a while now, since I started my COVID build a year ago. About myself, I am 27 years old and I moved to the US two years ago. I was always interested in projects and tinkering, and while I had a buggy/ATV project in Germany where motorized bicycles are illegal, it is the opposite here in California.
Like many others I used a lot of free time in the pandemic on building a bike. It has been a steep learning curve and with more and more parts that piled up I was able to put together another build for my wife. But now I pretty much drive both bikes regularly.

I just hit 1000 miles with one of my two bikes so I thought I share my cruiser 4 stroke setup. This is my almost daily work commuter and my more reliable bike.
IMG_0430.JPG

After two 49cc Amazon kits in total I decided to upgrade to a SBP jackshaft kit and the 53cc grubee 4 stroke engine with the 4G belt drive.
IMG_0432.JPG

The frame is a used large steel cruiser frame. What's special about my setup is the Nuvinci N380 hub in the back. It was really hard to figure out if the hub will withstand the forces of a combustion engine so I took the risk for the sake of research. It has been holding up well for 300 miles so far. Shifting this thing while accelerating is pretty sick. Even though it sounds more lame, like a scooter with a CVT. Time will show how it holds up.
Before that I was using the Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub which worked well but I then needed for my other bike.
IMG_0431.jpg

Other cool features about this bike is the light kit with a handlebar switch and one battery, my oil screw extension and a real motorcycle horn. I am using a tachometer to monitor my rpm and my oil change intervals. A small GPS speedometer with odometer displays my speed, miles and other statistics.
My top speed is a reliable 30mph, if push it on a long stretch I can reach 33 but then max out on the rpm. With my work backpack, gear and my tall self this bike moves 300 lbs around.
IMG_2872.jpgIMG_2873.jpg

I love this bike, it has been an amazing (and expensive) journey and I got to discover a lot of places that you wouldn't see from a car.

My other bike is a Nirve chopper frame with a custom jackshaft, 5 speed, full light/blinker setup. I will introduce that bike soon as well!
I look forward to exchange more knowhow and things and be more active in this forum!

Welcome to the forum, I've heard good & bad things on the nuvinci n380, I'm curious how it holds up for you. I wanted to use a IGH to but I wasnt going to experiment at the cost of it, I know the nuvinci hub is more like a cvt because it uses balls & a adjustable stator plate I believe what it's called to change ratios in the hub. Nice build, we love pictures here. Cant wait to see more.

Hello fellow motorized bicyclists!

I have been in this forum for a while now, since I started my COVID build a year ago. About myself, I am 27 years old and I moved to the US two years ago. I was always interested in projects and tinkering, and while I had a buggy/ATV project in Germany where motorized bicycles are illegal, it is the opposite here in California.
Like many others I used a lot of free time in the pandemic on building a bike. It has been a steep learning curve and with more and more parts that piled up I was able to put together another build for my wife. But now I pretty much drive both bikes regularly.

I just hit 1000 miles with one of my two bikes so I thought I share my cruiser 4 stroke setup. This is my almost daily work commuter and my more reliable bike.
View attachment 160522

After two 49cc Amazon kits in total I decided to upgrade to a SBP jackshaft kit and the 53cc grubee 4 stroke engine with the 4G belt drive.
View attachment 160523

The frame is a used large steel cruiser frame. What's special about my setup is the Nuvinci N380 hub in the back. It was really hard to figure out if the hub will withstand the forces of a combustion engine so I took the risk for the sake of research. It has been holding up well for 300 miles so far. Shifting this thing while accelerating is pretty sick. Even though it sounds more lame, like a scooter with a CVT. Time will show how it holds up.
Before that I was using the Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub which worked well but I then needed for my other bike.
View attachment 160524

Other cool features about this bike is the light kit with a handlebar switch and one battery, my oil screw extension and a real motorcycle horn. I am using a tachometer to monitor my rpm and my oil change intervals. A small GPS speedometer with odometer displays my speed, miles and other statistics.
My top speed is a reliable 30mph, if push it on a long stretch I can reach 33 but then max out on the rpm. With my work backpack, gear and my tall self this bike moves 300 lbs around.
View attachment 160525View attachment 160526

I love this bike, it has been an amazing (and expensive) journey and I got to discover a lot of places that you wouldn't see from a car.

My other bike is a Nirve chopper frame with a custom jackshaft, 5 speed, full light/blinker setup. I will introduce that bike soon as well!
I look forward to exchange more knowhow and things and be more active in this forum!
Nice I wanna see this chopper! Welcome!

I made it over the Richmond bridge once! It’s not that far!
My nuvinci hub has over 1000 miles on it now and still going strong!

Did you finish your build?
Yes! Been running strong. Though I am having some out of gas noises and idle problems.

Back