Get your California moped plates before building the bike.

EsQueue

Local time
6:58 PM
If you are even thinking about building a moped in the State of California the 1st step should be sending out for your plates.

On June 2, 2009 I mailed a completed moped plate form along with the correct dollar amount to Sacramento and still haven't received anything yet.

I just got off of the phone with them (September 16, 2009) and they said that it cleared last week and I should receive it in approximately 2 weeks.

Longer than 3 months, lol.

Just got my CA license plate this is how i did it.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

print out form 230 from DMV website under Vin I put teh vin # of my bike then to make the vin 17 #s like a car i put the name of my bike to fill in the rest so i looked like CRANBR###########. I have a Huffy Cranbrooke.
Engine # i just put the spark plug product #
Make was HUFFY
Fill out the rest and mail in with $19. ( this was in 2009)
Wait 3 weeks and you get it.

My registration papers says it is a motorized bicycle but under body type it has the code MP (moped?) and says it is a moped under type vehicle use.

heard it can take a few tries
Good Luck

Thanks for the heads up, I'm in San Diego my self so we're not that far from each other.

Whats your interpretation of the motorized bicyle law in So Cal?

Btw, if anyone could be of assitance... The quote in the OP from AdamT says he used the "vin # from his bike" i'm pretty sure he means serial number but I have no idea where to look for it on my bike. Its a schwinn ranger.

7417_142331845063_527645063_2969301_3304307_n.jpg

Last edited:
i thought ca had three seperate terms as you will for this.... motorcycle: tranny lights motor plates and no pedals, moped: motorcycle with pedals tranny lights plates, motor assisted bike pedals motor not bigger than 125cc and no tranny......so a mb should not need plates i found this in the motorcyle dmv handbook

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

"A Motorized Bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee. No renewal required. (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1"

I am sorry to say that NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED:

Motorized Bicycles
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

-A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
a motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC Sec.406[a])
-A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC Sec.406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406, you:

-Must be 16 years of age or older.
-Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
-Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC Sec.12804.9).You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406, you:

-Must be 16 years of age or older.
-Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
-Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC Sec.12804.9).You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

Tanaka40,

This has been discussed endlessly in other threads on this forum. But read your own Quote. You are only exempt from license, insurance, and plate requirement if you fit in cat. 406b, which is an electric bike. If you are gas powered you are 406a, which requires all afore mentioned requirements and a few others, such as a DOT approved helmet, left side mirror, and even a horn. Weather or not the police officers in your area are aware of or enforce these requirements is a different matter entirely.

ocscully

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clarifying that oscully. But I do think that there is some law on the books also down there that says you are legal to mab if you have a dui? There are a few states that do.

Back