Getting an M1 or M2 in CA

Tyler6357

Local time
12:28 PM
Hello friends!

After riding my bike around for 8 years with no motorcycle or moped license I finally decided to get my M2 license after narrowly missing a cop car who turned in front of me. It was a clean miss and I didn't get stopped. I had gotten the license plate already.

So I as I understood it. All I had to do was take a written test and pay the fine (oooops, I mean fee) and get the endorsement for moped (M2) on my class C license. So I go to the DMV and fill out the application, the guy says that the same tests are used for the M1 and the M2. That both require me to do a driving test as well as a written test and that the fees for both are the same. He asks me how many cc my engine is. I said that I wasn't sure, but that it's already registered as a moped. He tells me that if it is 50cc or more than it's a motorcycle, again I told him that it is registered as a moped already. So why would anyone get an M2 instead of an M1 I asked him, his response was "who knows". I told him that I don't have a motorcycle so I ask him if I can take the driving test with a moped and get an M1 license? "Yes" he replies. Is this guy right or is he talking out his bunghole? I'm going to the DMV today to take the written test because they wouldn't let me take the written test after 4:30pm yesterday. I already paid the fee. Do I have to schedule a driving test? I'm going to try to get these questions answered, hopefully from a different employee. I think he is full of it, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Get the M1.

Do not ask DMV employees about our bikes because they have no clue.
The DMV guy is wrong about above 50cc being a motorcycle.
The definition of a Motorized Bicycle/ Moped was 2 HP or less.
Now it is 4 HP or less. The damn license plate form says 4 HP now.

To get an M1 or M2 you have to pass the written test before you can take the driving test.
It is the same test for both.
You can not take the written test and the skills parking lot test on the same day.
You will get a M1 temp license after passing the written test whuch is good for one year
with the restriction of not driving at night or carrying a passenger.
You can not take the skills parking lot test on a motorized bike.
You need an insured plated Motorcyle or Motor driven cycle which includes 49 cc "scooters"
A scooter by definition in CA is a GoPed. lol which requires only a C license.

Alright, thank you for the information. Today, I went back to the DMV to take the f***ing test. There were literally 70 people in line. I waited for 20 mins while 1 employee was there to help the whole line and 8 other employees stand around with their thumbs up their ass. I made it about 1/4 of the way through the line when I saw an employee standing in front of a sign that said "License tests". So I step out of line and ask her if I have to stand in this long line to take the test, that I have already paid yesterday and they wouldn't give me the test because it was 4:30. The lady says to me, "oh no, you don't have to wait in that long line, just go to window 5 and they will give a number and they will call you to give you the test". I go to window 5, wait about 15 mins to get through that line only for the guy to tell me that I have to wait in the long line. I go back the the lady and she tells me, "I guess you have to wait in the line".....I have to get at the end of the line again that now reaches out in the parking lot. I tell her that it is now 2:30 and if I wait in that line again it will be again after 4:30 and you will deny me the test again. She looks me in the eye and says "You have to get here earlier". Seriously, I told her she was a lying useless b**ch and that I have better things to do than wait around in a line every day, I gave her the finger and left the office. I think I will just go without the f***ing license. Hey, I tried.

Last edited:
Gotta love the DMV... :rolleyes: I would suck it up, make an appointment and try again. A few hours of DMV hell is worth the peace of mind of having your M1, and it will allow you to move on up in the future.

Alright, thank you for the information. Today, I went back to the DMV to take the f***ing test. There were literally 70 people in line. I waited for 20 mins while 1 employee was there to help the whole line and 8 other employees stand around with their thumbs up their ass. I made it about 1/4 of the way through the line when I saw an employee standing in front of a sign that said "License tests". So I step out of line and ask her if I have to stand in this long line to take the test, that I have already paid yesterday and they wouldn't give me the test because it was 4:30. The lady says to me, "oh no, you don't have to wait in that long line, just go to window 5 and they will give a number and they will call you to give you the test". I go to window 5, wait about 15 mins to get through that line only for the guy to tell me that I have to wait in the long line. I go back the the lady and she tells me, "I guess you have to wait in the line".....I have to get at the end of the line again that now reaches out in the parking lot. I tell her that it is now 2:30 and if I wait in that line again it will be again after 4:30 and you will deny me the test again. She looks me in the eye and says "You have to get her earlier". Seriously, I told her she was a lying useless b*tch and that I have better things to do than wait around in a line every day, I gave her the finger and left the office. I think I will just go without the f***ing license. Hey, I tried.
Hey that's what I do every single time I'm in the dmv only I stay until I get what I needed and I give them the courtesy of s**tting on the bathroom floor before I leave (no not really but I really really want to.)

Sometimes the security officer has to point the tazer at me before I decide I've said my peace.

Hey that's what I do every single time I'm in the dmv only I stay until I get what I needed and I give them the courtesy of s**tting on the bathroom floor before I leave (no not really but I really really want to.)

Sometimes the security officer has to point the tazer at me before I decide I've said my peace.

LOL, crap on the bathroom floor?, hmmmmmm, sounds tempting but you know, I didn't even see a bathroom in this place, now maybe I just didn't see it, there were a lot of people standing around waiting in this building, but it's the government, they must have one, even Starbucks let's you s**t on their bathroom floor these days. hehe

Gotta love the DMV... :rolleyes: I would suck it up, make an appointment and try again. A few hours of DMV hell is worth the peace of mind of having your M1, and it will allow you to move on up in the future.
I don't think I can get an M1 because I don't have a motorcycle or scooter to take the skills test with. Appointments are 6 weeks out, so you have to wait at lest 6 weeks for the appointment if I schedule it today or try another DMV. Honestly, I didn't mind waiting in line, I did mind waiting in line for 2 days. I mean, I spent over 2 hours waiting in line only to be told they won't give me the test because it's 4:30 and I didn't get up to the window fast enough, and then go back the next day and told to get out of line and go to another line and wait through that one to be told to get back in the the 70 person line that I just lost my place in after waiting. All this to get to the window to get a number so I can sit down and wait longer to be called. And hey, is it a crime at the DMV to open another window when 70 people are in line? I see employees literally standing around doing nothing while everyone lines up in front of one person. I mean, even Walgreen's open's another check stand when it gets busy and their employees get paid just above dirt wages, not high 5 figures with union benefits and an over funded pension like the moronic government employees at the DMV get. But in spite of the long wait, it would be nice if when you got up to the window that the guy actually knew what he was talking about, not send you in the wrong direction by giving you untrue or inaccurate information. It makes me wonder if the guy has even read the motorcycle handbook. This stuff isn't new, these little bikes have been out and popular for years, I expect him to know the difference between a moped and a motorcycle and the requirements to drive both. How is it that I know more than him about all this crap and I don't even own a motorcycle? I guess I should just breath a sigh of relief that these morons are not in charge of health care...........yet.

Ooops, I'm sorry, I guess I'm not quite ready to go back there again yet, haha

Update: Hello friends, just wanted to update this thread, I went to the DMV today to finally take the motorcycle knowledge test. I passed the test and when I asked the guy what I needed to to do to get an M2 license for my motorized bicycle he took off and had a meeting with some other guys and then came back to tell me that I can't take the driving test on a motorized bicycle and that I don't even need an M2 license to drive my motorized bicycle. He said that if I get a motorcycle I can take the driving test and then get an M1 license but I can't get an M2 license. He gave me a permit to drive a motorcycle and told me that they won't issue my class 3 DL until I take the motorcycle driving test or I tell them that I'm no longer interested in the M1 or M2 license in which case they would send me my car license in the mail.

I'm really at the end of my rope on this, don't really know what to do except maybe just forget the whole thing.

Going to the dmv is like a mini life. You just have to go there and wait your turn. Those idiots that work there because of diversity do what little they do all the time not just when you’re there. Find the fastest dmv in your area and always go there no matter what. It’s like socially acceptable jail, you go there and they take a few or several hours or even years and decades for some. So don’t cry over spilt forms just dab some of your vagisil on it and be on your way.

fyi the test vehicle needs to be a motorcycle for you to get an m1 >=149cc there is no 49cc anywhere in the ca code. Easiest way to pass is in the msf course.

Back