Getting more power, high compression 66cc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy new discovery! Bolt for the carb clamp on the intake came out while I was riding yesterday and carb was super loose, just floating on the intake. Ran amazing! Gave me 5mph top end easily. Thing was screamin, I clamped carb back tight hp went back down.....Haha weird it loved sucking in that extra air. Just means it really is time for a bigger carb!

well, if you have the standard NT carb on it then you should put a good carburetor on it.
But actually you can get the same extra performance by jetting the carb leaner. With a micro drill set and some solder it is all DIY.

you melt solder into the hole and then drill a smaller hole.
click on my signature link

Crazy new discovery! Bolt for the carb clamp on the intake came out while I was riding yesterday and carb was super loose, just floating on the intake. Ran amazing! Gave me 5mph top end easily. Thing was screamin, I clamped carb back tight hp went back down.....Haha weird it loved sucking in that extra air. Just means it really is time for a bigger carb!

no, its time for a SMALLER jet.

sucking air makes it lean. it runs better when lean? then the jets too big.

as jag says, you bog up the jet with solder and redrill it with a smaller size drill bit.

or tack thin pieces of copper wire in the jet.

I wonder why it runs so good with a smaller jet or lean when a lot of people go bigger to 18mm carb. How am I getting away with it??
I know this idea sounds a little crazy or unheard of but my engine ran amazing with that loose carb air leak. So, I was thinking of running my intake I have with a bung for a boost bottle, but run a valve there instead to let more air into the mixture as desired. I know I'm creating an air leak, sure it doesn't sound good at all but hell it runs awesome like that why not run it? I don't know, just thinking out loud. That way I can tighten down the carb and have controlled added air to mixture.

If you go by this advise without an extensive background in tuning 2-stroke engines, you'll quite likely find maximum power; upon which it won't be far away from seizing; requiring a rebuild or a new engine.

Start the other way and buy and bunch of 5mm jets in 2 increment sizes from No 64 through to No 84. Throw in a No 76 and if the engine 4-strokes, reduce the jetting by 4 jet sizes (each time) till the engine just runs sweetly, then go up 2 jet sizes.
Doing so in this manner will ensure a long and healthy life from your engine, though at slightly less power than maximum attainable power.

you really dont get it, do you?

the carburettor is jetted so the correct air fuel mix is delivered to the engine.

your thread is entitled "four stroking like an SOB" or summink like that.

that means it was TOO RICH to start with. the jet, as supplied, is TOO LARGE. they do this so the engines will ALWAYS run, with no lean issues.

you have NOT changed your jet. this is the FIRST thing you do, with or WITHOUT alterations to the engine.

by having the small leak, you have LEANED the mixture out.

you arent getting more air into the engine, you are reducing the amount of air passing through the carburettor. the carburettor will still keep the same air/fuel ratio it had previously.

the mixture downstream of the air leak is therefore CORRECT as the leaking air and airfuel mixture combine and enter the engine.

the normal way of achieving the correct mixture is by CHANGING THE JET, and NOT having an air leak.

but, if you want to put a hole in your manifold, and allow dirt and grit into your engine, which travels through the crankcase, destroys bearings, cylinders and piston rings simply because the idea of JETTING CORRECTLY is too hard to comprehend...

GO FOR IT!

enough said...wheres my wall? i feel like bashing my head against it for a while.

im sure you wont listen to the idea of reinstalling the tuned pipe, and rejetting to suit it. because you dont appear to be interested in doing things the RIGHT WAY.

P.S. i have one pipe that likes a 45 size jet! that is less than half a millimetre! the standard jet is usually around 70.

Easy buddy don't go hurting your self now. I'm just talking and throwin out temporary ideas. All u had to say is no that's not good for the engine, rejet instead. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm new to 2 strokes and motorbikes. I know I need to rejet and When I get the money I'm going to get a new carb and make a expansion chamber pipe.

enough said...wheres my wall? i feel like bashing my head against it for a while.

im sure you wont listen to the idea of reinstalling the tuned pipe, and rejetting to suit it. because you dont appear to be interested in doing things the RIGHT WAY.

Easy buddy don't go hurting your self now. I'm just talking and throwin out temporary ideas.

:D
I'm really enjoying this thread, whilst sipping away at a Scotch and dry and nibbling on a cheese platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back