Getting motored in Georgia

rjriggs

Local time
3:36 AM
My name is Robert, and I'm a complete newbie to motorized bikes. My income has dropped dramatically in the last 15 years, something I'm sure a lot of you middle-aged men can relate to. Since my last car gave out on me about seven years ago, I've had to face the fact that I'm not going to be able to afford another one for quite a while. I've purchased a couple of Chinese scooters in the last few years, and they both broke down frequently. I'm not going to go down that route again because even cheap GY6 scooters are no longer all that cheap - you'll need close to $1000 even for a 50cc one - and I don't know enough about engine maintenance to do the constant repairs myself, which makes the cost of ownership pretty steep. So I've decided to build a motorized bike, which will at least spare me six miles of walking each day to and from work in Georgia's blazing hot sun. I purchased an 80cc engine from ThatsDax.com after reading all the recommendations for him on this board (and hearing what a crap shoot the Chinese kits are). Now I've got to get a bicycle to install the engine on, build a lighting kit to make it street legal, and see how the local police react to seeing it on the road. (Georgia law is VERY ambiguous concerning motorized bicycles, and the local police probably don't even know the relevant statutes and could very well just decide it's illegal, and who knows what legal battles I might endure?) Since this is my first build, I'm definitely going to need some advice along the way, and motoredbikes.com seems to be the best place to get it. Hopefully I'll be able to post photos of the final product eventually.

Welcome aboard. Start with a solid bike, new or used and if used then go over it in detail so you can be sure of its reliability. Purchase the best quality engine package you can afford and don't rush your build. Take your time and do it the best you can so it won't strand you. This group is very knowledgable, generous with their knowledge and will help the best they can.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have fallen on tough times. I would look for a reliable bicycle as well. A steel mountain bike or beach cruiser will usually fill that bill.
The China scooters can be reliable, but they will not take abuse. You also need tag and insurance for a scooter. Liability insurance for a 150cc scooter is around $50 per year.

Back