Getting my first e-bike, Need opinions! :)

Jumanji

Local time
5:04 AM
Hi Guys,

My name is Sam, and im down in Malaysia. Recently I've been wanting to get an e-bike (I like the idea of having one) and I was doing a quick search on some local sites. I found one with an ebike imported from China.

https://www.imsold.com/ad/NNiILkeNvE/rides-and-parts/others/e-bike-24/agnes-tan

What do you guys think of it? Would it be a good bike to start off with?

Hope you can drop me some opinions, Would love to hear from you guys! :)
0001-jpeg-xlarge-view-867387161ca6aca42caa8fe7b4f02264884e1ce4-373E37-640-640

Hi Guys,

My name is Sam, and im down in Malaysia. Recently I've been wanting to get an e-bike (I like the idea of having one) and I was doing a quick search on some local sites. I found one with an ebike imported from China.

https://www.imsold.com/ad/NNiILkeNvE/rides-and-parts/others/e-bike-24/agnes-tan

What do you guys think of it? Would it be a good bike to start off with?

Hope you can drop me some opinions, Would love to hear from you guys! :)
0001-jpeg-xlarge-view-867387161ca6aca42caa8fe7b4f02264884e1ce4-373E37-640-640

too little info Sam.

generally, for a sensible answer, need; - u weight?, legal situation there? (or dont u care, & is that wise/smart?) , expected terrain - hilly? (tho methinks a vehicle should cope w/ any terrain - ramps can be steep, even in kansas), required range.

Methinks the hardest decision is the battery. the onessupplied are usually disappointingly inadequate, but they often give a faur discount if u pass on it & buy separately. sounds good to me. u have to fuss mounting and connecting it - but simple stuff.

all the bike wants is about the right voltage, and all the battery wants is a charger, which is supplied correctly configured, with battery.

I like lifepo4 pouch packs. A bit heavier than conventional 18650 limn cannister cells, but simple, safe & bulletproof for a decade done right. A typical 500wh 36v pak reduces from 50+ cells to just 12 cells, so repairs are cost effective should a cell fail.

the link says little, which makes them questionable.

24"? not for me - go standard 26" for easy cheap tires etc. & a smoother ride from bigger wheels.

most here are from USA, where 750w is legal most states. euro bikes (& Oz) must be ~200/250w - big difference re correct advice.

even if 750w is legal, it tends to mean a big heavy bike & battery (aka beach cruisers) - more akin to a motorbike. All that power means u can usually get away with no gears, but its inefficient (motors only work well within a certain rpm range - geared transmission (mid-drive) keeps it within that range).

Gears (mid drive ebikes) are dearer, but way better hill climbers and battery misers.

I am 75kg, so the normal 120kg max load MTB is fine. My mid-drive ebike is sub 30kg, & i can carry it up stairs ok. Its 350w 36v motor serves me well if i think out my routes well. trouble is, my battery is weak.

its good u like the classic mens mtb frame in the link. Its a good shape to locate a large battery well - some space between u knees.

They are not meant for freeways. Live with it. Over 30kph on most roads isnt comfortable/efficient anyway - wind and bumps. its ok. a 10k urban trip will beat a car door to door.

lemme know u thoughts, i may even sniff around for something i like the look of for u.

No clue what that is, it's specs, or anything else, nor I am going to look again, your link for it tried to assault my browser and force me to DL an app!

Been thinking of converting my Giant 29er into an E bike as a little side project myself. Just wish there were more options in the 29 wheel size for the hub motor wheels. Building a 29 wheel around a hub motor would be pretty costly. Had a bike shop quote me at around $200 or more depending on rim & spoke options I choose.

Maybe consider a mid drive kit that can be hooked up to the bottom bracket so you can use those gears. Would make for a better ride than a hub imo

That does seem better. My local bike shop might be hesitant to work on it under the warranty that way. The mechanic at my local bike shop told me they can easily work on bicycle related issues & tuneups on electric bikes with hub motors under the warranty no problem but mid drives especially the kind that hook up to the bottom bracket are another realm to them.

Back