Getting started on a budget

Just4fun

Local time
8:50 AM
Hi to all,
I'm just getting started on this powered push bike thing so please excuse my ignorance. I currently have 2 26" mountain bikes, (one has suspension front & rear, the other none at all) one of which i'd like to adapt a 25cc Talon whipper snipper motor too. The motor is brand spanking new, & has a clutch assembly included. I'd prefer to put the engine on the bike with suspension, but can use the other if need be. I've seen a few pics here & on the net generally, but can't seem to find a kit that suits this application. I also can't for the life of me seem to find exactly how the rear cog fits onto the left hand side of the back wheel????? Basically this is just a bit of fun with no time limit, so i'd like to do it as cheap as possible. Please help...

cheers
Just4fun

welcome aboard.

Having no experience with rack mounts at all, I'd best not try to advise you.

But someone who can will come along.

good luck and have fun.

Well I've figured out that it'll be easy enough to mount the engine on the back of the bike, as per the Golden Eagle design, question is now what's better, pulleys & belt or sprockets & chain???? & where can i get those parts on their own cheaply...

welcome
if you are ok with sproket clamping to spokes with smashing rubber
most of the Happy Time kits you see here on site use these
most any Happy Times dealer can set you up

Gebe sells the belt system and maybe others also

Station has friction and chain set ups ------------------ ride that thing

Where are you placing the engine ? Frame, rear rack, front drive ? where there's a will there's a way. Good Luck.

Rack-Mounted Drive-Trains

have attached a pic of the planned project, haven't really got any set place i want the engine but figured above the back wheel would be easier to hook up with chain/belt plus i figure noise & exhaust behind me is better than infront. wheels are 36 spoke 26inch.
is there any advantage to belt over chain drive or vise-versa? only thing i can think of is belt would have more potential to slip, but chain drive is possibly noisier?

Attachments

• Bike-Pic.jpg
    Bike-Pic.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 153
GEBE discontinued offering the 25cc RedMax/Zenoah as the newest clutch systems and housings started to develop.

They just couldn't get the job done, in the long run.

So, buying "everything except the engine" from GEBE is not advised, imho.

If the engine was in the 30-40 cc range, maybe.

G'day & welcome to MB.com.
Probably the easiest & relatively cheap way is something like this....a friction kit from BMP & u supply the engine.
Your Talon might even fit,provided it's got the 76mm centrifugal clutch pack for the kit supplied clutch drum.
http://bikemotorparts.com/

My friction:
p1010139.JPG

If u decide not to go this route post your preferences so we can comment.....lack of words has never been a shortcoming here. :D

Back