"Ghost Sproket"

Those springs have held my motor better than the original mount...and before you say anything regarding my "deathtrap" please consider what it is we are refering to, a ghost sproket has little to nothing to do with the engine mount.

First I would just like to say I am glad you are alright Johnny.....

I dont know anything about springs holding the motor, but I must say that unless your rear sprocket is mounted exactly perfect (which is highly unlikely), there will always be a tightening and loosening of the chain to some extent every revolution of the rear sprocket, which puts a strain on the motor and mounts on the tight part of the revolution. (The ghost sprocket will not solve this problem as I am sure you are aware.) I didnt like this, and did not like the stock tensioner, and I believe the only answer is some sort of spring loaded tensioner. I installed one and love it.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10735

My 2 cents worth.........

Alright well with nothing better to do this morning I figured out the problem. There is a small alignment issue between the engine sproket and the drive sproket, about a mm difference. This problem can't be correct because its just the way the engine and the frame meet, the old chain tensioner had the ability to pull the chain that mm it needed to make it perfect. The ghost sproket just rode the chain as is, which caused the problem. I'll stick with the old chain tensioner for now and when I can I'll take the plastic runner off and replace it with a 8 or 10 tooth sproket.

Misterright,

The springs the previous poster was refering to was my macguyver fix of a front engine mount which broke, I since have replaced the whole engine because of the safety issue.

I really like you chain tensioner set-up, and lucky for me there is a tractor supply right down the road...I'll stop in and see what they have later today.

Thanks

Theres one on Mill Street in Foxon. Its kind of a small shop that sells general power equipment as well. I'm not sure to what detail they sell chain tensioners so I'm gonna run down there right now and look. Brb

Alright was just there, they dont sell any chain tensioners but they have chains and surprisingly they sell dirt bikes...however, in regards to our little motorbikes I dont think they carry anything good.

...This stupid thing sent me over my handle bars today...it fell off and got snagged in the spokes of the back wheel, locked up the tire and killed the engine, jerked the bike out from under me and sent me over the handle bars.

To make things worse my pants got caught on the handle bar extension so I got yanked backwards at the same time trapping my leg between the frame and the front wheel. A real mess, Good thing I was wearing a helmet! I didnt get knocked out and was able to roll off to the shoulder to let cars go by.

I honestly dont know why it came loose, I thought the compression of the chain kept it in there pretty good.

How the h3ll...
Anyway does the ghost sproket just sit in the chain or is it held somehow?

Its theoretically just supposed to ride in the chain and turn as the chain is turning, if you can get it to work its got to be the quietest chain tensioner around....that is, if you can get it work....

Back