Going Fast in or on Any Vehicle. A few thoughts

Scooterduder

Local time
5:06 PM
I was just thinking about how much I LOVE powerful engines, pro drag races, Monster Jam etc and especially after I spoke to my brother in law that modified his old Chevy truck with a super charger and great tires. We both agreed that we don't really like going fast as much as we love getting to our preferred top speed REALLY Quickly. I find high speed to be a bit more stressful than fun. I don't get much pleasure from a four wheel vehicle that's great for going to work or on long trips, unless it's super powerful, but I really enjoy a bit of power with a 2 wheel vehicle, however not enough to have it get away from me, because ouch. I'm certainly not a motorcycle guy. My only cycle experience was my childhood friends Honda xr80, and I learned how to shift and ride around the yard. Total of 5 miles on that though. I don't want to shift anything if I don't have too. I'd love to own another mini bike, that fits me.
The thing about drag racing is that you go fast and then slow down. Monster trucks are awesome and I see them in the same light as drag cars, like real beasts from a dead stop and no extended speeding. Favorite driver is Tom Meents!
I don't know how real motorcycle riders deal with riding on Phoenix freeways, or streets for that matter. I think that about 35mph or 40mph might be my top speed for comfort on a standard bicycle that's been altered with a motor. I'm 50 years old and realize that it's a good idea to really know what you like in terms of riding and to not feel a need to go really fast just to see how fast you can go. I'll let other people do that if they want to. I like the burst of power, and then a pleasant ride.

I was just thinking about how much I LOVE powerful engines, pro drag races, Monster Jam etc and especially after I spoke to my brother in law that modified his old Chevy truck with a super charger and great tires. We both agreed that we don't really like going fast as much as we love getting to our preferred top speed REALLY Quickly. I find high speed to be a bit more stressful than fun. I don't get much pleasure from a four wheel vehicle that's great for going to work or on long trips, unless it's super powerful, but I really enjoy a bit of power with a 2 wheel vehicle, however not enough to have it get away from me, because ouch. I'm certainly not a motorcycle guy. My only cycle experience was my childhood friends Honda xr80, and I learned how to shift and ride around the yard. Total of 5 miles on that though. I don't want to shift anything if I don't have too. I'd love to own another mini bike, that fits me.
The thing about drag racing is that you go fast and then slow down. Monster trucks are awesome and I see them in the same light as drag cars, like real beasts from a dead stop and no extended speeding. Favorite driver is Tom Meents!
I don't know how real motorcycle riders deal with riding on Phoenix freeways, or streets for that matter. I think that about 35mph or 40mph might be my top speed for comfort on a standard bicycle that's been altered with a motor. I'm 50 years old and realize that it's a good idea to really know what you like in terms of riding and to not feel a need to go really fast just to see how fast you can go. I'll let other people do that if they want to. I like the burst of power, and then a pleasant ride.
I love my old mini bike. I bought it off my cousin for 50 bucks on the fourth of July a few years ago. The bike has changed a lot since then, but it's mostly for the better.

I bought a neighbor's Montgomery Wards minibike at age 14 and had a blast on that when I learned what a governor was, and removed it. After a couple months it started spitting out oil. It had an interesting brake. A large mechanical foot pedal that pressed a smooth metal crescent shaped plate directly onto the tire. It worked well! Another friend had a fold up minibike that we had a lot of fun on as well. It took me only a few minutes of searching online last month to find out that it was a Fuji Go Devil, and very rare nowadays. If you search you'll find a refurbished one that apparently sold for just under $9000 dollars. Yikes! I wouldn't pay that much. It was cool though.

I bought a neighbor's Montgomery Wards minibike and had a blast on that when I learned what a governor was, and removed it. After a couple months it started spitting out oil. It had an interesting brake. A large mechanical foot pedal that pressed a smooth metal crescent shaped plate directly onto the tire. It worked well! Another friend had a fold up minibike that we had a lot of fun on as well. It took me only a few minutes of searching online last month to find out that it was a Fuji Go Devil, and very rare nowadays. If you search you'll find a refurbished one that apparently sold for just under $9000 dollars. Yikes! I wouldn't pay that much. It was cool though.
Here's a picture of her. I put a predator 212 on her, but I have a Briggs 5hp flathead engine I was planning on building up this summer to slap on her, I think it would really fit the bike.
IMG_20230116_095131989.jpg

Cool little bike! My next door neighbors happened to spend like crazy on every little toy and had a son about my age so I got to be around the neat stuff. The chopper mini bike, the dirt bike, the Cushman Eagle, King Midget car, Corvair collection, some kind of hovercraft, Sterling sports car.
We had a Harley biker guy at the end of our street also, and he had a kid about our age, so there was always engine talk and gas powered fun in my old neighborhood. :)

Cool little bike! My next door neighbors happened to spend like crazy on every little toy and had a son about my age so I got to be around the neat stuff. The chopper mini bike, the dirt bike, the Cushman Eagle, King Midget car, Corvair collection, some kind of hovercraft, Sterling sports car.
We had a Harley biker guy at the end of our street also, and he had a kid about our age, so there was always engine talk and gas powered fun in my old neighborhood. :)
Yeah, all the toys I have I've paid for myself, I have a neighbor down the road that rides around on a four-wheeler and a go kart sometimes. I've got a field behind my place that is unused, and that's my off-road playground.

Speaking of going fast... I used to get from EPTX to Chandler in 4 hours when I was younger. My car had a governor at 110 mph where the engine would shut off and I'd coast down to 105. I learned to keep it right at 107/108 the whole way.

As a young man I was all about speed but after some horrific injuries that I'm still not 100 percent healed I take it slow. For a long time I wasn't even able to open a door arm couldn't reach handle . They had me on some pain pills that I was to afraid to take was a bad few months

Back