Going for a trike conversion

Well another member should be soon be joining the merry band of three wheelers !!!!!!

The kit is heading south to a new home and stopped gathering cobwebs in the garage

GOODLUCK SIMPLESIMON, we will be watching closely......

Last edited:
Well another member should be soon be joining the merry band of three wheelers !!!!!!

The kit is heading south to a new home and stopped gathering cobwebs in the garage

GOODLUCK SIMPLESIMON, we will be watching closely......
Many, many thanks to you, vegaspaddy.

I'll post an update as soon as possible. May be a few days - I had surgery on my right eye today, and I can't see terribly well right now - no depth perception at all. Plus, I'm a two-fingered typist, and not used to having to twist my head back and forth to visually line up on keys - my typing speed has fallen through the floor.

I'm getting things ready, though - I have the Huffy 24 inch bike down to basic frame now - I'll need to spread the rear dropouts a bit for the trike adaptor, plus I'm gonna fab up a pair of drive chain guides to lower the upper chain line and pass it under the HT engine I plan to shoehorn into the rear triangle.

I''m gonna get some batteries for my digital camera and get some pics of parts and such real soon.

Last edited:
Fedex delivered the trike conversion package today. I must say, it seems a very well built piece of equipment. Included in the package was a 7 speed gear cluster and disk brake on a mid-drive hub, with a manual disc caliper.

vegaspaddy is a good man, and I am grateful for his generous spirit. Delta trike as soon as possible! After going through the new engine and replacing studs, upgrading bolts and nuts, etc, of course.

yeap those axles are pretty solid, pretty easy conversion to turn any bike into an instant delta trike.

i liked your drawing for a tadpole trike, they are alot more sensible than the delta style, reguards converting to motor power, lower center of gravity, better handling etc, but nothing beats the coolness of sitting up high and all the local kids (and maybe a few dads as well) drooling over your bike....

Cruising around on ebay today i found one seller who has 2 bare bone conversion rear ends for a decent price around $70 + 15-20 for shipping, these are a easy way for anyone to make an instant trike, don't wait too long you might regret it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Trike-Tricy...Z2904QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

i can smell the scent of grease and sweat coming from simons workshop.....

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Best of luck with the impending build, hope your eye heals up quick too. If your going to chop the frame at all? i would recommend a little more rake in the front and lowering it to get the C.G down, i have found handling ALOT better after doing this to my own custom build. The rake as per used on two wheel bikes isnt well suited to a trike cornering at speed tis very dangerous...

best of luck anywayz...

KiM

EDIT: i just checked the link Vegasdaddy...i like the trike seat sold by the same seller **** i wish i had seen that before i bought the one i have that would fit SO well over my top tube on the frame.... spewa all my mounting is complete for the current seat...ah wellz.

Last edited:
Manufacturer?

Has anyone had any sucess in determining who manufactured ths particular conversion? (the one vegaspaddy sold to simon) That rear hub is very interesting (the modification to it).

ocscully

Its definitely different to the 'trike conversions as per sold by ChoppersUS' but not alot...the hub with the dual freewheels is an "off the shelf" item...the only reall major difference i see with it is the extended strusses...that said it is a lovely trike conversion if i had known you had it earlier i would have offered you some $$$$ for it without hesitation....The MAJOR trouble with these conversions though is the braking. Puting a single disk on the axle only stops the one wheel, the non-drive wheel simply freewheels on sealed bearings and requires is own disk brake to be mounted to the trike hub, these aren't avaiable but there is a cheap way to convert one to take a rotor. I used a dual disk FRONT hub from ChoppersUS, cut it up and used the rotor mounts from it to mount on the trikes 'non-driven hub...

coulple vids i took AFTER the conversions...

non drive side hub

Drive side hub

for the drive side hub the rotor mount was welded directly onto the end plate of the axle..Some stills of the procedure-->

http://members.ii.net/~aussiejester...ame_mark II_scustom_left_rear_rotor_mount.jpg

hope this might be of some help, you DEFINITELY need some stopping power when these trikes get going tiz a bit of weight too stop ESPECIALLY with the motors in them....

KiM

Last edited:
Google 'flip flop hub' matey..not EXACTLY the same but does exactly the same thing, flip flpo freewheel hubs take a freewheel on both sides, designed to have two differing tooth count freewheels so swaping gearing (on single speed bicycle) is as easy as undoing the wheel and "flipping" it around... :) Used on BMX bikes mainly i think...Any good bicycle shop sells them or can order them in for you...Too use them in the trike application you require one reverse thread freewheel (left hand thread) which are also an off the shelf item :)

KiM

Last edited:
Yes every thing you have said about flip flop hubs is true, but they mount the freewheels on the outside of the spoke flanges and usually flip flop hubs are both right hand thread and I personally have never seen a flip flop hub with a disc brake mount. The hub shown as part of this kit appears to me to be threaded inside the left hand hub/spoke flange for the extra freewheel? Are you saying that it is threaded on the outside? You seem to be saying that this configuration is readily available, if it is I'd like to purchase one. The Two hubs I know of that are threaded with both left and right hand threads again place the left side freewheel outside the spoke flanges and again neither of them also have the option of mounting a disc brake rotor. I'm not trying to get into a ****ing contest with you about this, I just can't find anything even remotly close to the hub shown from any source I can find. If you could provide me with a source or link I would greatly appreciate it.

ocscully

Back