Going Legal in PA

well guys i have some very bad news.... it can not be done in PA i found a snag... the guy that was going to inspect by bike so i can get my title found out when he called the state that my bike has to have a DOT frame tires wheels and forks blah blah blah... and unless i make 30 bikes and stress test them with the government im out of luck... now i am back to the drawing board because i do not want to give up since i built a bike with turn signals, horn, mirrors, head light, working break light, and a kick stand and 50cc engine (about $600)... so the main thing is to get a title and im ready to regester... so does any one no of a way to get one in a close state and then transfer it to PA so i can register it...

by the way here are some pictures of my bike...

SANY0008.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0010.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

SANY0012.jpg

SANY0014.jpg

SANY0015.jpg

SANY0013.jpg

well guys i have some very bad news.... it can not be done in PA i found a snag...

Sorry to hear about the setback. Does anyone know if the PA laws changed and if so, when they did. I recall that pedalcycles with engines under 50cc displacement and design speeds under 20 mph weren't singled out specifically as "motorized pedalcycles" and didn't require titling, registration, insurance, etc. until recently. Does anyone know when this change went into effect?

Regards,

Ken

the guy that was going to inspect by bike so i can get my title found out when he called the state that my bike has to have a DOT frame tires wheels and forks blah blah blah... and unless i make 30 bikes and stress test them with the government im out of luck
Sounds like someone doesn't want to do it. He should be using form mv-426B. Your bike would fall under 'Specially Constructed' and it doesn't say anything about DOT approved frame. If everyone who made a hotrod or other specially constructed vehicle had to make 30 and stress them they may as well just get rid of the form because nobody would do it. I am contemplating whether you even need the inspection at all. The form explicitly states that a motorhome doesn't need an inspection. The inspection manuals state that a Motorized Pedalcycle doesn't need to be inspected. I am wondering if you can submit an mv-426B with appropriate descriptions and pictures and use the argument that you didn't get it inspected because the Vehicle Equipment and Inspection Regulations subsection J explicitly exempt Motorized Pedalcycles from inspection.

Sorry to hear about the setback. Does anyone know if the PA laws changed and if so, when they did. I recall that pedalcycles with engines under 50cc displacement and design speeds under 20 mph weren't singled out specifically as "motorized pedalcycles" and didn't require titling, registration, insurance, etc. until recently. Does anyone know when this change went into effect?

Regards,

Ken

I found some additional information. Here is a link to Senate Bill 1444 which classified motorized pedalcycles the same way as pedalcycles without motors. Motorized pedalcycles weren't required to be titled, registered, or inspected. They could be ridden anywhere any other vehicle could be driven (with some restrictions, e.g. limited access highways).

Every persons operating a motorized pedalcycle shall be
granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the
duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this
title,

Title 75 was changed with respect to motorized pedalcycles since Senate Bill 1444. I'm trying to determine when the change occurred.

Regards,

Ken

Wow both ken and steve are on to something.... you guys are giving me a new hope that this might some how be possible i shaw explore you options and may be we will get to the bottom of this PA limbo known as Motorized Pedal Cycle

Maybe this will help. Upper Darby Township Police Department has a download section on the right side of the page at www.udpd.org. They are updating the site so you will have to navigate around a little. Click on the "Downloads" and check out the "PENNDOT Fact Sheet on Mopeds, Motorcycles, ATV's Etc." The sheet is dated February 2003, I also have a copy from March 2004 that says the same thing. I didn't know that title 75 was changed. Let us know what you find.

I HAVE SUPER GOOD NEWS FOR ANY ONE IN PA... UNDER 50CC ON A PEDAL BIKE IS LEGAL... i checked with the state police and campus police and they say we are legal, if the engine is under 50cc on a pedal bike and at night we must have a head lights and rear light or reflector... and i think a horn but this made me so happy.... the police at my school registered my bike into there computers and engraved the frame with my drivers license number and incase of theft i report it to them and they take care of the rest... also the police loved my bike and took it for a ride talk about super sweet!!!

I HAVE SUPER GOOD NEWS FOR ANY ONE IN PA... UNDER 50CC ON A PEDAL BIKE IS LEGAL... i checked with the state police and campus police and they say we are legal, if the engine is under 50cc on a pedal bike

Scribbles - that is good news. Can you provide any documentation or the name of the barracks and/or officer you spoke to. I contacted my state representative, Katharine Watson, who is also on the PA State Transportation committee. She indicated that once a motor is added to a pedal cycle, regardless of size, it is considered a motorized pedalcycle, and therefore subject to registration, titling, etc.

If I could get something in writing from an official source, I'd print it out, laminate it, and carry it with me should I get stopped by the local police. Right now, all the information I have gathered indicate that these bikes aren't legal (until registered, etc.). I would be most interested in alternatives.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but, I really can't explain to a local police officer that I'm riding my motorized bike because I read on a newsgroup forum that Scribbles got the "Ok" from the state police. I need additional proof to backup that claim.

Thanks,

Ken

ken i have found out from my journey the bureaucrats of PA will say its not legal because these bikes are so rare. The thing with my campus police are im friends with a couple of them and they gave me the big ok because they think the bike is crazy sweet. Ill ask if they have any documentation thats says we are good but i have one last way we can try to get a plate... i was thinking we could say its a wizzer with a lost title... I mean they look similar and wizzers are dot approved so im going to look into that way to. also we could use the bikes serial as the vin...

Back